Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
itknight
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ted Glass

VDDK Error 13 DataTransfer.SyncDisk during backup

Post by itknight »

Error: VDDK error: 13 (You do not have access rights to this file). Value: 0x000000000000000d Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Yesterday we had a drive fail. I replaced the drive and the array (RAID10) rebuilt successfully. But during the rebuild 2 bad blocks were found on a different drive, and now the array states it has "Failed Stripes". I'll likely need to destroy and recreate the array.

One Server 2012 VM, the largest on the array/datastore, now gives the error above when backing up. It always fails at 254GB on a particular disk.

We are a 24/7 operation right now. I have no way to vmotion this VM to another datastore on any host due to its size. So I need Veeam to perform an Instant Recovery from the backup repository, then i'll recreate the array and can vmotion back to it while the VM is still running. That would result in very little down time and some performance loss. But if i have to recreate this VM from scratch using other backup methods it could take 24+ hours. Last good backup was Thursday night, last full was Sunday.

How can i get Veeam to complete the backup and ignore whatever it is running into?

I've tried a chkdsk in the VM, no problems found.
I tried using the SkipBadBlocks registry key, added to the VM in question. Did I need to reboot or restart a service for that to take effect?
Due to the access rights verbiage, I rescanned vCenter and verified i'm using the administrator@vsphere.local account in the vCenter properties in Veeam.

Thanks
itknight
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ted Glass

Re: VDDK Error 13 DataTransfer.SyncDisk during backup

Post by itknight » 1 person likes this post

I opened case #03454642. Thanks
aliosja
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexei

Post by aliosja »

Hi, did you made any progression? Since we have the same problem I would like to know if you came to a solution
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Alexis,

The initial poster's comment was "I ended up reverting to a previous backup and doing a full VM restore. Everything is in order at the moment, and subsequent backups of the restored VM are completing. This really wasn’t a Veeam issue, but as you stated a VMWare disk issue after a RAID rebuild.".

So I'd suggest you open a dedicated case so our engineers will be able to take a look.

Thanks
enriquegordon
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Enrique Gordon

Post by enriquegordon »

Not a desire solution but try to disable CBT and it should work.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Please check the tips from this KB: https://www.veeam.com/kb2008