Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
mschwarzer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Schwarzer

Export-VEXItem with additional properties

Post by mschwarzer »

Hello @ll,

to minimize the use of litigation hold space we detect all users who have left the company and using Export-VEXItem cmdlet to export the users *.pst and In-Situ-archive to some worm storage. To survive the media break and further account deletion i try to modify the additional properties of both files. I try to add 'NoteProperties' with name 'SamAccountName' aso. it the way
$pstexport | Add-Member NoteProperty $itemPropertie
but i found New-Object -ComObject Shell.Application not really usefull for this.

Does someone of you know a way to modify the additional properties of an exported pst file persistent in filesystem?

Kind regards,
Michael
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Export-VEXItem with additional properties

Post by Polina »

Hi Michael,

Basically, the most straight-forward way to modify these parameters is by using the Get-ChildItem and setting $pstexport | Add-Member [-NotePropertyName] [-NotePropertyValue]; and I assume, this is what you've already performed.

Could you please clarify what exactly you're trying to achieve with -ComObject Shell.Application? Are you looking for a way to automatically assign the NoteProperty to multiple pst files?
Also, what is the specific reason for using sAMAccountName as an additional property for those exported files?
mschwarzer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Schwarzer

Re: Export-VEXItem with additional properties

Post by mschwarzer »

Hi Polina,
sorry for my late reply on this ;(. The process i try to describe is the user off-boarding. In our case after LitigationHoldPeriod (1 month) and Veeam Repository retention period (1 year) the mapping between SamAccountName, ExchangeObjectId and Identity is lost. The only information i have for the exported *.pst is first and family name and therefor i need to keep those informations after the media break.

Unfortunately are Add-Member [-NotePropertyName] [-NotePropertyValue] just modifing the PSCustom array and not persistent for the file system object.
I assume those properties can only be set during file creation using the outlook libraries, storage provider classes or so.
I worked around it creating a *.prop file.