Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

V10 copy mode

Post by backupquestions »

Could someone explain why cloud connect would be needed once this feature is offered? Seems it would match cloud connect and be way cheaper too. Now your unsealed chain will be copied etc. You can't even do instant recovery with cloud connect and you can with object storage.

Not to mention wasabi is 6 dollars per tb per month.

It would seem like all the providers would be upset with Veeam for offering this as well because people can undercut vcc by using this??

Just trying to understand.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: V10 copy mode

Post by Gostev »

Remember Veeam Cloud Connect is not just backup, but also replication.

But in any case, even if we talk backup alone, most of the Veeam Cloud Connect service providers typically offer additional services on top of just "repository in the cloud" - some of which are very interesting. Actually, I am about to jump on the call with one such provider right now, as I got really curious about their offering!

So, for anything else than mere "mechanical" extension of your scale-out backup repository capacity and mirroring to object storage, customers will still use service providers.
backupquestions
Expert

With v10 and the new copy mode, wouldn't it now meet the 3 2 1 rule though? Since now your main unsealed chain is copied? Or is that chain dehydrated the same as older closed ones meaning it is not in two places at once?

I'm hoping the short term chain is true "copy" and the gfs are the ones that are offloaded.

I'm interested to hear what that provider offers...

Lastly, a strategy once v10 is out might be to use VCC provider for only replication and use object storage provider for backup copies? Short term chain in local and cloud and then long term gfs only cloud... (same as vcc)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Yes, it will meet the 3-2-1 rule for off-site backup copies due to being a true copy. But this is just one core/basic need, the whole DR story does not end there.

For example, this specific service provider I just talked to specializes on compliance-oriented firms and performs be-annual full scale disaster recovery test for each of their clients. So they have literally the entire customer environments starting up in a remote data center from recent Cloud Connect backups, simulating the restore from massive disasters like hurricane - giving their clients great assurance and checking their DR compliance boxes.

But I heard of many of other interesting services too, starting from much more basic stuff. For example, many service providers will put your backups on external hard drives and transport them to your data center within a few hours after you declare an emergency. This way you can recover very fast from local storage - while restoring your entire environment from object storage over Internet can easily take weeks depending on your bandwidth and environment size - enough for most companies to go out of business.

Or, if the service provider specializes on specific verticals, there will be even more of "less common" needs. For example, Tape as a Service: customer is required to have their backups on WORM tape media, but does not want to manage their own tape infrastructure - so service provider does this for them. Or backed up data analytics for GDPR and similar regulatory compliance... lots and lots of services, the above were just from the top of my head.
backupquestions
Expert

Awesome info, thank you!
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Plus don't forget about Cloud Connect "Insider Protection" which may make it easier to restore backups that were deleted accidentally (or maliciously) vs trying to recover objects deleted from Azure Blob / S3.

Joe