Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Blue407
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

Advice on GFS - looking for a solution

Post by Blue407 »

Hey all

So we have been running Veeam B&R for a couple of years now, for our Hyper-V Cluster, we backup to a local B&R server, to a Synology NAS on a dedicated LAN and to tape.
Although we keep some tapes for an extended period of time, I would like to be able to keep a monthly or quarterly backup on a 2nd Synology NAS (GFS).
We are running out of space on the existing NAS, so I'd like the daily backups to stay on there, but offload the monthly, quarterly and annual ones onto a new NAS.

Is there an easy way to achieve this with Veeam, either move existing GFS to new storage, or once they are a certain age move them automatically from one Synology to another? Veeam would have to be aware of this move, so it knew where files were located for restoring.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas are appreciated.

We have had cause to restore some files from 12 months ago and it was just so quick from disk, I would like to extend the ability to do this but need additional storage capacity.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: Advice on GFS - looking for a solution

Post by skrause » 1 person likes this post

You can move the files for your Backup Copy job that you are using for GFS (you need to move everything, not just the archive fulls) from your existing repository device to a new one and then just point the job to the new location.

I think you will need to disable the copy job during this (at least while you are pointing it at a new location).

Having your backup copies on the same storage as your original backups is also not a best practice so this would help with that. (Though since you have tape, you are fine for the 3-2-1 rule already.)
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
Blue407
Enthusiast

Post by Blue407 »

Thanks Steve.

Is there any automated way of doing this? For example moving backups that are on the original Synology to the new one once they are x days old? Like an archive effectively. Then I can work at making it read only and protected.

We backup to the B&R server itself, then have a copy job to the Synology, so already have 2 backups then onto tape as well.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

There is no automated way to have the GFS points live on a separate Repository volume currently.

I take that back, you might be able to do it through SOBR and Capacity Tier. I am not sure if you can set a non-cloud repository as a location for that currently though.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
Blue407
Enthusiast

Post by Blue407 »

Done a quick bit of reading, seems this may be relevant. object-storage-f52/gfs-full-backups-to- ... 58516.html

I will setup some kit and have a play with it.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you have object storage handy, then, yes, you can use it as a capacity tier - a place to which old backups will be moved, once they age out.

You can find more information
. Be aware that you need to have Enterprise license to unlock this feature.

Thanks!