Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jim7jim
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jimbo James

Replica seed configuration

Post by jim7jim »

I'm having trouble creating a replication job with a replica seed. I've created a vbk backup, copied it to a Backup Repository at my remote site and rescanned the repository. When I go to select the 'Get seed from the following backup repository' the remote backup repository is not listed. I've tried to add the remote repository but I'm not sure how to do that. None of the choices under 'add Backup Repository' seem applicable. I have the remote veeam server, vCenter and the remote proxy in my backup infrastructure. I think I just need to add the remote backup repository but not sure how. Do I have a misunderstanding on how this works?
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Replica seed configuration

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi Jim, the seeding from backup will go much better if Veeam Backup & Replication put the backup in the repository, so copying the file over (presumably via operating system copy) likely won't work.

At face value, I'd do the following:

1. On the Veeam Backup & Replication Server: Add a repository (go into Backup Infrastructure, Backup Repositories, then add the server and path of the remote).
1.A -> Possibly the hard part missing is that we may need to have the server that is holding the remote repository added as a Managed Server. Once you do that, you can add the repository to the Backup & Replication Server, and find the path in remote to that repository. The option that is "Direct Attached Storage" would be the Direct Attached Storage to the server in the remote site (but we have to add the managed server to 'expose' its storage to Veeam).

2. The cleanest way to get the backup to that remote repository (always good to have a backup copy off-site) is the Backup Copy Job, so make a new Backup Copy Job from first site to remote for the backup in question.

3. Build the replica job again, and you should both see the repository in remote and have the backup data populated (after the job in #2 completes).

One note however is that you don't need to make the seed be close to the replica, especially on subsequent replication jobs (from after the first is built).

Hope this helps!
jim7jim
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jimbo James

Post by jim7jim »

Thanks for that info, Rick. I did have the remote server added as a Managed Server. The part I was missing was that the remote repository would be added by selecting 'Direct Attached Storage'. You've helped me get farther in the process. I'm receiving new errors on the job so I'm going to open a case with support. I 'may' be beyond the simple configuration issues now. Thanks again!
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Cheers Jim - glad it worked out in regards to the configuration, support can surely identify the issue or make a more specific recommendation.