Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
FTL
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Weekly Full Backup Only and remove previous week

Post by FTL »

Hi,

I take entire computer backups of a few non prodcution servers once a week - every Sunday morning - to a shared USB drive.

I have the following settings set in the agent Local Storage screen:

Keep backups for the past 6 days when the computer was running

And in the advanced tab: Create active full backups periodically - every Sunday

However the backups continue to be incremental each week and just fill the drive up.

Id like to just take 1 full backup each Sunday morning of each server and Veeam delete the previous week leaving me just that active backup so i can take the disk away with me offsite for the next week until the following Sunday.

Is this possible please, and which part of my settings above have i misunserstood as its just apendind weekly data currently.

Many Thanks in advance
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Weekly Full Backup Only and remove previous week

Post by Dima P. »

Hello FTL,

Which Veeam Agent for Windows are you using? Any chance you have a case Id to share? Thanks!
FTL
Enthusiast

Post by FTL »

Hi Dima P,

I dont have a case number, i havnt opened a support ticket, was hoping it was a simple setting i may have overlooked that could be resolved on the forum without bothering Support

I am using: Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 3.0.1.1039 - Free Edition

Many Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

FTL,

Configuration looks correct - if the USB device is connected at the day set for active full backup and you have a backup job scheduled to run at this day - full backup should be created. Please raise a ticket and share the case ID with us, I'll ask QA folks to review your application logs. Cheers!
Mike.Powell
Veeam Software
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Powell

Post by Mike.Powell » 1 person likes this post

Setting a retention of 1 would accomplish this.
You'd get a full, and then a weeks worth of incrementals, Sunday the new full runs, fulfilling your retention of 1, previous week is now outside of retention and is removed during job finalization.
This does still require room for two fulls on the disk, until the job completes and applies retention.
Make sure the job is allowed to run on Sunday per schedule.
FTL
Enthusiast

Post by FTL »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

I dont have incrementals running - the job schedule is once, every sunday morning, each week, no other schedules inbetween.

6 days, 1 day - is there a difference? Both values are still less than Sunday to Sunday so it should be removing the previous weeks backup when it runs?
FTL
Enthusiast

Post by FTL »

@Dima P

I have opened a case - reference #03627481

Thanks
FTL
Enthusiast

Post by FTL » 1 person likes this post

Mike.Powell wrote: Jun 19, 2019 8:44 pm Setting a retention of 1 would accomplish this.
You'd get a full, and then a weeks worth of incrementals, Sunday the new full runs, fulfilling your retention of 1, previous week is now outside of retention and is removed during job finalization.
This does still require room for two fulls on the disk, until the job completes and applies retention.
Make sure the job is allowed to run on Sunday per schedule.
FTL wrote: Jun 20, 2019 3:50 pm Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

I dont have incrementals running - the job schedule is once, every sunday morning, each week, no other schedules inbetween.

6 days, 1 day - is there a difference? Both values are still less than Sunday to Sunday so it should be removing the previous weeks backup when it runs?
Ok so who feels the prat now :) - Your spot on Mike!

Becuase i only take 1 backup a week it deleting every 6th backup isnt it (so every 7th actual Sunday)

Wording in the agent is misleadingas it says 6 days...

But in this case because its against the norm and the schedule is just for once a week, with no incrementals or anything else, its treating each week backups as a day.

Week 1 - Full
Week 2 - Set to full but is appending as its treating it as day 2
And so on
Week 7 - Set to full, its still appending and then its deleting Week 1 backup - as thats past the 6 days (which in my real world case is actually 6 weeks)

Bingo