Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

networking question

Post by backupquestions »

I'm going to have a physical Veeam server and might utilize a proxy that is in vsan. But, my question is, lets say I was going to just stick with NBD backup mode. What network/vlan should my physical veeam server be on? Should it have an IP literally on the same subnet/vlan as the vmware management nics? Would that help anything due to no routing needed etc? Or, should it be on a production vlan that my VMs themselves are on?

Example.

vm managmenet network 10.1.5.0/24
vm production network 10.1.10.0/24
network management vlan 10.1.2.0/24

does it matter much which network Veeam B&R (main server, proxy role, everything etc) is on so long as it can talk to anything via routing etc? Or would you suggest even creating a new vlan just for the backup server itself...?
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: networking question

Post by skrause »

It doesn't really matter what network your Veeam components are on as long as they are able to communicate on the required ports found in the users guide.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
vmJoe
VeeaMVP
Liked: 103 times
Full Name: Joe Gremillion

Post by vmJoe »

I normally like to keep the Veeam Backup and Replication Server and the proxy servers on the ESXi management VLAN just to eliminate communications issue with the VMware APIs.

The backup repository can go on a different VLAN like a backup vlan if there is a need to keep the backup traffic separate from the management VLAN.

If the repository gets put in a separate VLAN (like a backup network) from the proxy then it helps if there are two nics in the proxy - one on the management vlan, and one on the backup network.

In the network options menu in the VBR server, you can set the preferred network to be the network address of the backup network.
Joe Gremillion
NA Core Solutions Architect - Central region
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

For NBD, by default Veeam uses the main ESXi management interface to that the FQDN if the ESXi host is bount. To change this, you need to consider the following:
Veeam gets from vCenter the full qualified domain name of the ESXi host, then ask DNS system to get the IP. You can manipulate this to use a specific interface (vmkernel IP) by manipulating DNS on Veeam B&R Server and all Proxies used. The most simplest was is by using the hosts file.

Please see full explanation and examples here: https://bp.veeam.expert/dns_resolution