Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
corsbj
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Simon Bjerregård

Backup speed

Post by corsbj »

I'm having a weird issue that I hope you can help me with.
I have moved a lot of VMs to a standalone host, and the backup of these is snailing along.
The existing VMs that were being backed up already gets processed very fast, 2-3GB/s, but the new ones take forever, as low as 50MB/s.
The bottleneck is reported as being the source. When I'm looking at the disk activity on the host through the resource monitor, the storage is bored, disk queues below 1, and 0 being reported most of the time.
Network-wise, the load is no where near max. Around 300-500Mbit.
When running the back up of the existing VMs on the same server, network load was around 1,5-2Gbit and storage was on the host was reflecting this speed too.

I'm at a loss as to where I should look for a solution.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2887 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup speed

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
that sounds strange and the only thing I can recommend is to ask support for help. Please post the case number here for reference.

I can recommend that you send the support more information about your environment (hardware, configuration, on-host proxy?, what is different between old VMs and new VMs, maybe different LUNs etc.).

Best regards,
Hannes
corsbj
Influencer

Post by corsbj » 1 person likes this post

I think I've narrowed it down to being network related.
I believe the way Veeam does backup, is to do a VSS snapshot in the VM, and then copy that snapshot. It seems the host has issues with the virtual network, it's being particularly slow and I can't figure out why.
If I do a copy from the backup server to the host directly, it utilizes about 95% of the network, but if I do it to a VM it crawls along.

Until this is sorted, I think Veeam is without fault :)
corsbj
Influencer

Post by corsbj » 1 person likes this post

It was network. The onboard NIC doesn't play well with Hyper-V.
Plugged in a X540 from Intel and everything started working again.
Weird thing was, the onboard was an Intel X722.

I'm getting another X540 for the Veeam server, I'm sure this can be even faster.