Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
michaelobrien
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Does object storage use "ReFS-style" object dedupe?

Post by michaelobrien »

Apologies for the poor subject wording :)

I'm taking a look at either the current offload to object storage in 9.5u4, and the forthcoming copy to object storage in v10. Given our current setup, we see a HUGE amount of space savings using ReFS fast clone. I.e. GFS for a given copy job may show show 100TB of backup files, but only ~10TB of disk space is used in the repository ReFS volume.

Does object storage do something similar? That is, store common blocks and use them to provide backing for identical blocks across multiple backup files stored in the extent? If not, object storage may prove a more difficult sell to the powers that be :)
anthonyspiteri79
Veeam Software
Liked: 207 times
Full Name: Anthony Spiteri

Re: Does object storage use "ReFS-style" object dedupe?

Post by anthonyspiteri79 »

Hey there. If you do a search on the forums you should see similar questions answered as it's been a common ask from our customers.

In addition to that, take a look here: https://anthonyspiteri.net/cloud-tier-d ... on-demand/ which will link you to a deep dive on Cloud Tier from VeeamON in Miami. It's worth a look as we dive into the way in which we do source side dedupe of the blocks and how we do intelligent block transfer for uploads and downloads.
Anthony Spiteri
Regional CTO APJ & Lead Cloud and Service Provider Technologist
Email: anthony.spiteri@veeam.com
Twitter: @anthonyspiteri
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Does object storage use "ReFS-style" object dedupe?

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

But the short answer is Yes, it does.

Moreover, referencing our ReFS integration has actually been my favorite way to explains our object storage integration to experienced Veeam users :D so, you nailed it by approaching the same topic from an opposite direction ;)

But yes, as Anthony mentioned there are many existing threads on this subforum already which dive into this exact topic, including with specific examples, so I'm locking this one down to prevent duplication discussions. Feel free to continue posting in any of the existing topics.