Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
j45p3r
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Ingalls

Moving Backup Files for Copy Job in SOBR

Post by j45p3r »

Currently my Backup Copy Jobs are backing up to a SOBR with performance tier on local SAN and capacity tier on AWS S3. The GFS backups offload to AWS after 91 days

I need to move my performance tier to a new SAN. How can I accomplish this without losing the benefits of ReFS block cloning? Do I need to create a new repository on the new SAN and point my copy jobs to the new location starting a new backup chain? I can leave the current/old repo online for 91 days until all of the existing backups age out to AWS.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Moving Backup Files for Copy Job in SOBR

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
my idea would be to use a block based copy tool to copy the LUN to the new SAN. With block based copy, you will preserve REFS block cloning. After copy, just connect everything like it was before.

If you are familiar with Linux, then I can recommend dd (make sure you don't mix up source and destination, because that would destroy your backups)

Best regards,
Hannes
j45p3r
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Ingalls

Post by j45p3r »

Thank you, HannesK. Do you have a recommendation for a utility that can do block copy for Windows Server?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

sorry, I never used anything on Windows and the only thing I could do is using Google. I have no personal experience with anything else than DD.

Oh well, if you have a SAN from the same vendor, than they might also provide LUN migrations / async mirrors.