Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
staun
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jørgen Staun

Moved all tapes to Free Media pool

Post by staun »

Let us say that someone just made a mistake and moved all tapes into the Free Media Pool and then all tape backup seems to be lost...... :shock:

Is it possible to recreate the tape structure again. For now I stated a Catalog Tape/ Inventory and the tapes are starting to move back into the original media pools and when I browse a tape (Properties - Files on a tape) I can see some data on the tape. But some of the links in the tape inventory are broken.

If I manage to catalog all my tapes again (about 300) will my tape-backup be back as I hope for?? :o
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Moved all tapes to Free Media pool

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jørgen,

In case of 'Mark as free' operation (which is performed when tapes are moved to free media pool) data is not erased, only the information from the database gets removed. You can perform catalog operation on these media and they should be detected correctly. Are you sure that some of these tapes were not used by other tape jobs while they were sitting in the free media pool? Thanks!
staun
Enthusiast

Post by staun »

The tapes were not "mark as Free" - they were moved to the free media pool due to an error in my powershell script. (Move-VBRTapeMedium)

I disabled all tape-jobs once I found out my powershell script moved all tapes to the Free Medial pool, so in theory nothing should have been written to the tapes.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Mark as free is performed when you move tape media between media pools. If tape media was not re used you should be good to go. Cheers!
staun
Enthusiast

Post by staun » 1 person likes this post

Just an update.

Managed to catalog/ inventory all our tapes from our fire-secure storage and a restore is now in progress for all types of backup-jobs (retensions are different.) and the first two went fine, just missing 6 more. So everything seems to be good.

With this little whoopsi - I actually (in theory) re-created our server-infrastructure from scratch as if all our server-rooms where destroyed or exploided for ransomware - good to know it is possible. - Not a restore-scenario ou do every week as normal restore-tests. :-)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jørgen,

Glad you nailed it!
With this little whoopsi - I actually (in theory) re-created our server-infrastructure from scratch as if all our server-rooms where destroyed or exploided for ransomware - good to know it is possible. - Not a restore-scenario ou do every week as normal restore-tests
It's good to have restore strategy but it's even better to test it :wink: