Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Dayco
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrea

Veeam Backup Chain infinite

Post by Dayco »

Hello,
we are having a problem on our Veeam infrastructure.
We have backups set to have 10 restore point on a forever incremental backup job.
All these backups have 64 restore point and the last full backup has a date of 90 days ago.
I've tried to change the retention to 5 just to check, but no way. backup are now 65.

Any idea?

In addition, we had an issue with our Vcenter server and we attached our hosts to another Vcenter. Then we set again our Veeam backup to the same VMs to continue the backup chain.
Could be this the problem?

THanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Veeam Backup Chain infinite

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Andrea and welcome to the community!

The migration of hosts between vCenters could be a problem since the VMs morefIDs were changed.
How many .VBK files you have per backup job\backup chain? Thanks!
Dayco
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrea

Post by Dayco »

Thanks for your reply.
At the moment we have 2 Vbk. One older and the second with the same date of the Vcenter migration.
I've did a test, I've delete all Old Vbk and Vib files and tried a syntetic full backup.
Now the Vbk has changed in date, but I'm getting an error during backup.

This backup job is not so important, so I can recreate it, but I would like to fix other backups as they are very big and need time to recreate from zero.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

The retention policy isn't monitoring the amount of the RPs for the VMs before migration, you can clean it manually.
However, it's worth to contact the support team and ask for assistance not only for cleaning but for the error review either. Thanks!