Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

SQL restore issues and non domain joined Veeam server

Post by backupquestions »

1. My Veeam server is not on the domain for security reasons. It does have dns pointed at my domain dns servers ips. It seems that Veeam is using netbios name of vms when doing restore and fails. The domain dns servers only return records for vm.domain.com and not just vm.... so restores fail. As a test and workaround I added a VM.domain.com to my host file on veeam server and it works. Do I really have to do this for 100s of vms?? This is a big gotcha with having Veeam server not on domain and would have to keep this up to date manually in hosts file for new vms etc... Is there a solution?

2. I'm unable to restore SQL databases that are part of SQL replication. Not veeam replication but the sql database itself is replicated natively via sql studio. At the end of restore Veeam says "cannot drop the database because it is being used for replication. I can verify that simply trying to right click and delete the database natively in the SQL studio gives same error so I get it. But, this doesn't line up with what Microsoft Article says here. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/re ... erver-2017

It says that so long as you backup and restore the database to the very same sql server (which i am) then its fine.

We have a lot of databases that are replicated to other sql servers and this is a huge issue if there is not a fix. With the previous backup solution it didn't have any issue restoring any database regardless of if it was in replication or not.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SQL restore issues and non domain joined Veeam server

Post by foggy »

Hi Alabaster, p.2 seems to be a known issue that is addressed in one of the future updates.
backupquestions
Expert

Thank you. Not in v10 though? Just marked for some later date?

Regarding problem 1... I have done more testing and was not fully correct. It seems FLR on other systems is OK and domain controller AD object restores are OK. I have not tested exchange yet.

So it is possible that for whatever reason, the Veeam Explorer for SQL, when running on a non domain-joined system is using netbios name of sql server instead of FQDN resulting in this? If I only have to make sure I keep my sql servers in local hosts file with fqdn on my Veeam server I'm OK with that, but it seems like a bug or unintended since other VMs are either resolving fqdn or using IP. None of the VMs that it is backing up are accessible by just netbios name and yet the restores work on them... Would like to get a stance on this from you guys if you can replicate or have advice. I will use workaround of hosts file for now.
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins » 1 person likes this post

You could try adding the domain name as a DNS suffix to the network adapter properties under TCP/IP4 -> Advanced -> DNS -> Append these DNS suffixes. That will likely stop you needing to edit hosts files
backupquestions
Expert

That's a good idea Dave. I will actually give that a shot. Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

backupquestions wrote: Jun 26, 2019 5:18 pm Thank you. Not in v10 though? Just marked for some later date?
Chances are good it will be there.
backupquestions
Expert

DaveWatkins wrote: Jun 26, 2019 10:36 pm You could try adding the domain name as a DNS suffix to the network adapter properties under TCP/IP4 -> Advanced -> DNS -> Append these DNS suffixes. That will likely stop you needing to edit hosts files
Dave,

Just wanted to say that totally worked. I'll remember this for future, that is an easy fix. Thank you!!

Foggy,

Thank you, I hope it makes it in as that will be a great addition for me but I would assume a lot of bigger companies as well who use SQL replication.