Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BertM
Novice
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Bert

Thanks for the Veeam and ReFS Magic

Post by BertM » 6 people like this post

Hello all,

Not to distract from folks' important technical questions around here, but I just wanted to stop in and say thank you for all the work Veeam put into ReFS integration. We already had one of our sites running ReFS with good results (about 40% savings I believe), but our other site had been having issues with storage space. We had two 50TB NTFS volumes, one of which held the majority of our Veeam backups for the site. I had to manually delete backups every week before the retention schedule was up. We didn't have the budget for more storage, so we took the time to move the backups to old storage, reinstall the server with Win 2016, format ReFS, and move the files back. We are now saving 45.7% space (64.7TB stored within 35.1TB actual space) without using any Windows Dedup. Plus, I don't have to delete anything before retention schedule removes it automatically. While the upgrade and moving was a pain, it was 100% worth it. We'll have enough storage until next year's budget allows for purchasing more, and I'm not even sure if we'll need it then.

To my vendors selling backup dedup appliances: Don't need them; Don't want them; Stop asking.

Thanks again,
BertM
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

Re: Thanks for the Veeam and ReFS Magic

Post by TaylorB » 2 people like this post

I just learned about ReFS integration at VeeamOn last month and have already implemented it. I doubled the amount of restore points I am keeping and synthetic fulls went from 12-20 hours to less than 1 hour.

So I will join you in thanking Veeam for this amazing feature!
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Post by backupquestions »

It is very awesome, but one of the big "gotcha's" that I see is that once you get a long term retention of months/years set up in ReFS, and then say you want to migrate all that to a new storage device, you LOSE all the block clone savings. You would need mountains of space on your new system to move it all, or you would have to just start a new chain.

But imagine starting a new chain when you have years of retention on the old storage? You would have to hope that old storage can stick around and work for years until retention passes and you don't need it.

Now having said all of this, it is an ReFS/Microsoft limitation and not Veeam, but I wish Microsoft could figure this out.
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Post by mkretzer »

Is it? Veeam should be able to transfer the old backups and then create new references should it not?

It must not be fast but it should be possible...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 3 people like this post

Yes, it should be possible on our end, and we do have this feature tracked under the "internal data mover" name... hopefully, one day I will have dev resources to implement one. It's always hard to find resources for these sort of "nice to have" features, but I try to squeeze some of them in every release. Devs generally don't like them, because they don't feel these make a big difference :D everyone wants to be building the Next Big Thing!
stevehughes
Service Provider
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Steve Hughes

Post by stevehughes »

Gostev,

Customer feedback ... I for one would love the ability to move backups to new storage without losing the space savings. Assuming that it's do-able I think it should be right up there as a 'next big thing'.

Steve.
dasfliege
Service Provider
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Florin

Post by dasfliege »

Another Customer feedback here:
As a service provider, it's quite a big limitation for us, that we aren't able to move backups with space savings. For example: We have a few customers, asking for long time retention (10 years) of their Cloud Connect Data. But we couldn't offer it, because we simply can't promise, that we can keep their data for 10 years on our ReFS storage. If we ever have to move their backups to a new repository (and im pretty sure that this will have to happen 1-3 times during those 10years), we would have to buy a damn skyscraper full of storage. So, such a movement-tool would be a fantastic thing!
oliverL
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Oliver

Post by oliverL »

Gonna hijack this also for the Backup-Data Moving (sorry!). It would be great to have this feature.

And thanks OP for this information! Didn't knew that ReFS could save something without enabling deduplication (altough i'm quite happy with Windows Dedup on NTFS and ReFS Volumes in my Labs - which is far from multiple TB ;-) ).
orb
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Olivier

Post by orb »

As a side note,

ReFS creates "fragmentation" over time, increase random accesses and slow down restores if the spindles count doesn't follow. They are no easy way to quantize this so I would recommend to run a full active every few months.

An experience return or general guidance would be welcome by many of us

Oli
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We don't really get too many complaints in this regards to ReFS fragmentation.

I suspect that the reason is that Veeam uses fairly large block sizes (512KB on average with default settings), so fragmentation does not impact performance as much unless, as you correctly mentioned, spindle count is very low - and thus backup storage lacks IOPS in general (which is the real issue).

Luckily, most customers out there can still quadruple their backup storage IOPS capacity by using Veeam-tuned RAID stripe size (we recommend 256KB) as opposed to a few times smaller default (usually 64KB).
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange » 1 person likes this post

backupquestions wrote: Jun 10, 2019 7:42 pm It is very awesome, but one of the big "gotcha's" that I see is that once you get a long term retention of months/years set up in ReFS, and then say you want to migrate all that to a new storage device, you LOSE all the block clone savings. You would need mountains of space on your new system to move it all, or you would have to just start a new chain.

But imagine starting a new chain when you have years of retention on the old storage? You would have to hope that old storage can stick around and work for years until retention passes and you don't need it.

Now having said all of this, it is an ReFS/Microsoft limitation and not Veeam, but I wish Microsoft could figure this out.
I run my repo inside a VM, so to move it to new hardware, I just have to move the vhdx file. Of course, with a repo of 100tb, that's easier said than done!
orb
Service Provider

Post by orb »

Gostev wrote: Jun 17, 2019 8:16 pm We don't really get too many complaints in this regards to ReFS fragmentation.

I suspect that the reason is that Veeam uses fairly large block sizes (512KB on average with default settings), so fragmentation does not impact performance as much unless, as you correctly mentioned, spindle count is very low - and thus backup storage lacks IOPS in general (which is the real issue).
Much of the people, doesn’t need to be convinced about storage space gains, backup performances when it comes to ReFS. I had to migrate a fair amount out repository about 3 TB physical in size, much more on a backup logical side and it was stored under RAID5 8+1 (600 GB spindle SAS 10K – FCGB) due to the fact it was slowly dying one. A soon I launch my copy for a few minutes nothing happens transfer-wise but disk I/O was happening. Suddenly it started to transfer. Incremental were transferring about 120 Mb/s but when I was hitting a VBK it slowed to down from 40 to 60 Mb/s. Since then, I include a full active time to time and hope to mitigate a little this slowdown.

While we are talking about ReFS, I would like to deviate a little to the deduplication subject. Microsoft ReFS (or NTFS) depuplication happens at the file level based decision. It is known the biggest file, well less support from Microsoft, etc. I think would be a neat feature when dedup is enabled to split. VBK in smaller chunks (e.g. 1TB)

Oli
orb
Service Provider

Post by orb »

nmdange wrote: Jun 17, 2019 8:18 pm I run my repo inside a VM, so to move it to new hardware, I just have to move the vhdx file. Of course, with a repo of 100tb, that's easier said than done!
Actually, that's a very clever solution! Let's hope Gostev's Dev won't see that one or the internal moving agent won't be happening soon :lol:

Oli
billcouper
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bill Couper

Post by billcouper »

TLDR; +1 Moving backup files without losing ReFS space savings, please implement this! If Veeam can implement this inside the backup software, I think this would be a 'killer' and 'must have' feature. It is hard to recommend ReFS without it.

I work at a small service provider. We have on-premise managed customers with their own servers, and we also host some VM's in our small datacenter. In our datacenter, we use VM repo servers with ReFS volumes for >18 months now. We have ~1PB of backup files on ReFS repositories.

Balancing extents is an ongoing, almost daily issue. We can't predict customer growth with certainty, and we don't want any of the per-VM backup chains to 'spill' across to a new extent. Since we are using VM repo servers this caused some issues for some of the earlier SOBR's where they had a small number of large extents. Since then I have found it better to build SOBR's with lots of smaller extents, spreading the VM's out as much as possible - we then monitor the extent utilization daily and extend them as needed. This has worked fairly well but it's not ideal. It's particularly bad around Veeam patch time when things tend to break pretty badly.

Let's not even talk about the time I had to rehydrate 350TB of VBK's onto tapes, simply because Microsoft gave us no way to transfer ReFS data intact (like they have done with dedup). I was cursing a LOT on that day :)

Edit: yes, I know tapes are not ReFS... what I mean is that I needed to make a second copy of a bunch of backup files. I wanted to copy to disk but ended up having to dump it to tape.
stevehughes
Service Provider

Post by stevehughes »

Gostev wrote: Jun 17, 2019 8:16 pm Luckily, most customers out there can still quadruple their backup storage IOPS capacity by using Veeam-tuned RAID stripe size (we recommend 256KB) as opposed to a few times smaller default (usually 64KB).
Say what? Can you elaborate? A quadrupling of IOPS capacity is not easy to pass up. I do usually configure my RAIDs with large stripes, but is there an optimum size for a Veeam repo, and what's the reasoning behind that?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

With the default settings, average Veeam backup file block size is around 512KB. Reading this block from RAID with 64KB stripe size will touch 8 drives requiring 8 IOPS, while reading the same block from RAID with the recommended 256KB stripe size will touch only 2 drives requiring 2 IOPS - which is 4 times less. This is oversimplified of course, but you get an idea.
stevehughes
Service Provider

Post by stevehughes »

Yep indeed. Thanks.