Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Crandall
Veeam Software
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Alex Crandall

Direct restore to Azure from an Azure VBR console

Post by Crandall »

Hello,

I'm trying to find a way to allow me to restore directly from an Azure VM where I have VBR and a repo with the backup data directly back into Azure through local traffic. In my case I have a production Vnet where the VBR server and data live, and then a DR/Testing Vnet where I want to restore the VM to. At the moment I have a Vnet peer in place so both Vnets can fully communicate with each other. I've deployed the Azure Porxy in the DR/Testing Vnet, and when I try to do a restore it goes through the public IP's. I removed the public IP from the Proxy VM fully expecting it to fail when I tried to do the restore; which it did. You might be wondering why I have two Vnets, and that's because the VM's that are being restored have hard coded IP's that mirror the on premise subnet. So my production Vnet and my DR/testing are using different class C address spaces.

My goal is to be able to user the internet network to do the restore to avoid egress charges on the Azure side and increase the restore speed.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Direct restore to Azure from an Azure VBR console

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
as you mention that you have a VNet peering, it should work the following way

- deploy a windows VM in the DR/Testing VNet
- add this VM as managed server
- use it as Azure restore proxy (don't deploy an extra Azure proxy from the Veeam console. it is not needed)

Best regards,
Hannes
Crandall
Veeam Software
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Alex Crandall

Re: Direct restore to Azure from an Azure VBR console

Post by Crandall »

Thanks Hannes, that did the trick.