Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Refs corruption event id 133

Post by backupquestions »

https://www.veeam.com/blog/advanced-ref ... suite.html

If you read that link, it shows an example where a file is corrupt on an refs volume. It also mentions how Veeam enables the integrity stream on its chains.

So say event id 133 happens on a chain. I would not know unless I monitor this eventid in windows. Do I need to do that, or does Veeam get notified during job runs and attempt to fix it?

1. If I get this event do I need a new active full on the chain for the specific vm?

2. Will surebackup job with scrubbing enabled repair this?

3. Will storage corruption guard feature in Veeam repair this data without needing active full?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Refs corruption event id 133

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
Do I need to do that, or does Veeam get notified during job runs and attempt to fix it?
You should monitor for the event via other means (a script, for example).

1. If your ReFS has integrity streams enabled and resides on Storage Spaces, then it might be able to automatically fix the corruption. However, it won't hurt to run AF (or perform a health-check). More on the subject here.

2. It will only detect corruption but won't repair it.

3. Yes, it can do that.

Thanks!
backupquestions
Expert

1. I'm on stand alone, so instead of monitoring this event id, couldn't I just enable the disk integrity scan in the surebackup job and that should always find an issue if eventid 133 had shown up in windows? Then if it shows an issue I take active full for that particular vm? I can set up eventid monitoring too but just figure the two should coincide with each other as the CRC check would be off by at least one bit if a txt file became corrupted for example?

2. Does surebackup job WITH the integrity checking enabled to validate all disks, lock the backup files to where new backup OR backup copy jobs won't run? Example: local repo has main backup job files. surebackup runs against those, and while in progress, a separate backup copy job starts new interval and wants to take the latest restore point to the cloud... Will this run fine or will the copy job pend until the surebackup job completes?

I know already from testing that there is no interference without the disk integrity check enabled in surebackup, but am curious about with it on. (without testing and screwing up my offsite backup window if it does affect it)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

1. Right, you can do that, and CRC check would detect corruption. Also you can configure weekly health-check - it will attempt automatic repair of a corruption is detected.

2. Backup/backup copy jobs have higher priority than any SureBackup job, thus SureBackup job will be stopped automatically no matter whether backup validation is enabled or not. That is, backup copy will run fine.

Thanks!
backupquestions
Expert

Excellent, thank you for the answers! I've been blowing up your forums but it is really giving me a great understanding of all the technical details. I don't like to miss any aspect of it. :)