Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
tomnewman
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Tom Newman

Moved B&R off Hyper-V host - What programs can I uninstall

Post by tomnewman »

To follow best practice, I have moved our B&R installation from our Hyper-V host to its own dedicated VM.

I didn't want to do a configuration restore as I wasn't sure if the change in architecture would mean that it was no longer valid so I installed the software and then manually recreated the setup using the original source as a reference for settings.

The problem now is that I'm sure I need to keep some of the Veeam software installed on the server but I'm not sure which programs.

We have a fairly small setup. The host has a tape drive attached and is defined as the Mount Server for our linux repo and Surebackup.

The programs installed are:
Veeam agent for lunux redistributable
Veeam agent for microsoft windows redistributable
Veeam Backup and Replication
Veeam backup transport
Veeam backup vpowernfs
Veeam distribution service
Veeam hyper-v integration
Veeam installer service
Veeam mount service
Veeam remote tape access service

From our environment I presume I need to keep Veeam backup vpowernfs, Veeam mount service and Veeam remote tape access service but I'm not sure about the rest.

Can anybody advise?

Thanks, Tom
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1566 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Moved B&R off Hyper-V host - What programs can I uninstall

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Tom,
I didn't want to do a configuration restore
To clarify: during the migration of Veeam B&R server to a new VM, it was a brad new installation of Veeam B&R server? Was thinking that you can deinstall Veeam B&R and all it's components from the Hyper-V host, then re-add Hyper-V host to new Veeam B&R console (and it should install only the required components).
tomnewman
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Tom Newman

Post by tomnewman »

Yes it is a brand new installation. However, it is all setup, including the current host and Linux repo. I am concerned if I delete and re-add it them it will mess up the backup jobs (or force me to delete them before I can delete the host and repo).

I also wondered if I just rescanned the host and repo it would detect the missing software and reinstall it. The trouble is, whatever I try, there is no going back once I have done it!
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

A rescan will install what's needed if you accidentally uninstall it.