Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Surebackup advanced configuration question

Post by backupquestions »

I have a vmware vSan environment with a lot of hosts. 6.5 etc.. I have enterprise licensing in veeam and also in vmware. I have a distributed vswitch that all hosts can access for networking.

So with all that in mind, when I create my virtual lab in Veeam, it looks like I want the "advanced multi host configuration" with the distributed v switch usage, right? This way when automated vmware DRS runs and the virtual lab appliance gets vmotioned all over the place randomly, it will still have networking to everything it needs. Otherwise, if I did advanced single host configuration then it would work but I would have to make vcenter rules so that the virtual lab vm stayed on the same esxi host always, right?

So assuming I'm right on all the above, I'm afraid of doing the configuration without confirmation from you guys. There is no chance that when Veeam creates the virtual lab and creates a bunch of port groups in the distributed switch etc, that it is going to cause all my VMs to go offline and cause networking issues?

I have experience configuring surebackup jobs but never using the advanced multi host with vsan where the virtual lab vm might get moved around and a distributed switch is in use.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Surebackup advanced configuration question

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it looks like I want the "advanced multi host configuration"
well, you can, but in most cases the "advanced single host" is easier to handle. I personally prefer advanced single host.
vcenter rules so that the virtual lab vm stayed on the same esxi host always, right?
no, it will always stay at the same ESXi

Veeam will not configure anything at the DVS, no worries :-)
Veeam Backup & Replication does not offer an option to automatically configure the DVS. The DVS must be preconfigured in your virtual environment.
from user guide

Best regards,
Hannes
backupquestions
Expert

Ok maybe I will just go with single host.

So does veeam do something to prevent automatic drs of the virtual lab vm? Or do I have to make rules to keep it on same host as I thought? All my vms auto vmotion around all the time.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

they will not VMotion around as the defined host is the only host with the correct networking configured ;-)
backupquestions
Expert

I didn't realize that was something vmware took into account. I guess it makes logical sense as it would be stupid for DRS to move a vm to a host where it would have not have the required networking and would then lose ability to talk to anything.. lol..

Thank you