Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mrbiggles
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Randall

restore disaster

Post by mrbiggles »

We have had to rely on Veeam for the first time since getting it & found we have obviously been doing something very wrong.
We had a full backup this Saturday gone & 2 incrementals since then.
It backs up 5 Virtual machines.

When we go in to do a restore, we find the restore points are over a month old for all backups, some are approaching 2 months old.

We now have to go and tell a client that we can only restore their server to the 6th of May.

I dont understand how we did a full backup on the weekend of about 170GB plus on average 8GB of incrementals since then & yet the newest backup for any of the VMs is over a month ago.

What on earth is it backing up since the 6th of June? :?

I am pretty devestated because its the first time I have ever been caught out like this. Obviously there is something we have done wrong & I am not blaming the software, I suppose I am just hoping that may be there is some secret hidden spot that will allow us to restore up to Tuesday - although I am pretty resigned to the fact there is probably a small setting somewhere or some tick box we did not tick.......
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: restore disaster

Post by Gostev »

Could be just some UI glitch showing the restore point time, for example because of incorrect system date. Frankly, I have never seen anything like this reported in past 4 years, so just guessing at this point. I would recommend contacting support as it will be much easier to investigate in live over webex. But if backups we reported as being created successfully for last few days, then they all will be there for sure, so don't worry. Most likely just time display issue.

By the way, each backup file is stamped with creation date/time in its name, so you could also look at actual files to see what backups are latest (in case the issue is with restore wizard displaying incorrect time for whatever reason). But of course, in order for them to be correctly stamped, system date and time should have been correct on backup server when they were created.

Thanks.
mrbiggles
Novice
Full Name: Adam Randall

Post by mrbiggles »

We got to the bottom of this.
One of the VM's had a password change which prevented Veeam from doing a backup.

The main problem was that it took from the 26th of June to the 2nd of July to complete a backup cycle to the NAS drive.

So the backup started on the 26th of June & took 3 days to complete, it then took 3 days to copy to the NAS drive. The time stamp on the completed backup on the NAS is 2nd July but the information for that backup was for the 26th June.

Obviously unnacceptable so we will have to look at how often we conduct full backups so that it copes with the amount of files being backed up.
ShadFX
Novice
Full Name: Matt Neal

Post by ShadFX »

Ouch man, feel your pain :( Good luck sorting out your backup routine