Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
MikePettit
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Pettit

Couple questions about Cloud Backups/SOBR

Post by MikePettit »

Hello,

Been trying to use storage gateway software to allow me to write backups straight to a cloud provider over a direct connect 1Gb connection (in the same datacenter). Haven't had much luck, with the S3 buckets breaking sometimes during the backups, so I'm wondering how far things have come since I last looked at Veeam-only strategies:

1. Anything on the roadmap that you can make public about allowing an S3 cloud provider, such as Wasabi Hot Storage, to be a primary backup target (Like you can do with a Service Provider repository)? It would make my day to hear that there was some talk about this happening soon.

2. I heard that SOBR can be set to a 4 hour wait time and will shoot my backups to the "archive" repository after 4 hours of being written. The last time I researched this, I had to run another Full backup before the previous backup chain would migrate. Which would mean I needed to run a Full backup every day if I wanted my backups sent to the cloud provider every day. Not having to do the Full backup every day, and having it only be a 4 hour delay, would be amazing. I'll start some research on this, but hoping someone might be able to just quickly verify this.

Thank you very much!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Couple questions about Cloud Backups/SOBR

Post by veremin »

1. Currently, you cannot use object storage as primary backup destination. However, you can attach it to Scale-Out Backup Repository as Capacity Tier and offload old restore point to it, as they age out.

2. Correct, only sealed backup chains get moved to Capacity Tier.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Couple questions about Cloud Backups/SOBR

Post by Gostev »

MikePettit wrote: Jul 03, 2019 5:31 pmAnything on the roadmap that you can make public about allowing an S3 cloud provider, such as Wasabi Hot Storage, to be a primary backup target
Not yet. However, it is safe to bet that this will happen one day.