Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
hkatergarakis
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Charidimos Katergarakis

Move VM DC from Win2008R2 to Win2016 Hyper-V

Post by hkatergarakis »

Ticket no: 03648263
Hi,
The Primary Active Directory Domain Controller is Windows 2008 R2 64bit hosted in a Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V. The secondary is also Windows 2008 R2 VM.
I want to move the Primary DC to a new infrastructure with Windows 2016 Hyper-V.
I am using the Veeam Agent for MS Windows Free Edition to backup the Primary DC.
I am planning to Full Backup the Primary DC in old infrastructure, power off and then restore it to the new one.
The above steps will work without creating issues to Active Directory?
What should I take care off during this procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Harry.
Best Regards,

Charidimos G. Katergarakis
sb1920alk
Novice
Full Name: SB

Re: Move VM DC from Win2008R2 to Win2016 Hyper-V

Post by sb1920alk »

I wouldn't do that. Changes are made between the point of the last backup and the restore that will be lost. It would be better to perform a Hyper-V "Move" and just move the VM to the new environment. You can do this while it's running. Failing that, create a new VM in the new environment, promote it to a domain controller, transfer the FSMO roles, then de-promote and decommission the old one. At that point you can recycle it's IP if you want.
hkatergarakis
Lurker
Full Name: Charidimos Katergarakis

Re: Move VM DC from Win2008R2 to Win2016 Hyper-V

Post by hkatergarakis »

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
The VM move is not available in windows 2008R2 Hyper-v.
Additional, it is a small environment, about 25 PCs, and changes to active directory are very rare. So, during the backup restore procedure I can arrange no changes to be made to users, share permissions, etc.
Having in mind the above does this will work?
I want to avoid the installation of a new DC because in this DC are installed a software which is not possible to install it to a new Server.

Thanks in advance,

Harry.
Best Regards,

Charidimos G. Katergarakis