Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jimscott
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Scott

Tape library replace encryption question

Post by jimscott »

Hello,
Can someone help me get my head around something.

We currently copy our veaam backup jobs to tape LTO4 and 5 using encryption within the veeam media pool option. This password is kept safe.

If our backup server and original tape drive fails or is damaged beyond repair, can we used our encrypted tapes in a completely new veeam server and different tape hardware to get our data back?

What do I need in terms of config files to achieve a successful restore and the encrypted data off the tapes.
Jim
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Tape library replace encryption question

Post by csydas »

Hi Jim,

We tested this for our DR, and it's as simple as catalog the tapes and put in the password on the new drive.

You can demo this with the free version on any machine and attach some tape hardware.
jimscott
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Scott

Post by jimscott »

When you say you put the password on the drive? we have never done this, we use the password on the Veeam media pool?
I have the demo (community) version running on our second site but when I try to restore from encrypted tapes I get a restore error something like "the hardware does not support hardware encryption" and the restore job fails. This was not a issue with 9.5 Update 3, same hardware but fails on 9.5 Update 4a.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,
If our backup server and original tape drive fails or is damaged beyond repair, can we used our encrypted tapes in a completely new veeam server and different tape hardware to get our data back?
Yes, you load the tape media to the library connected to new B&R server, perform inventory for these tapes and then you need to type in the password to make the data on tapes available.
When you say you put the password on the drive? we have never done this, we use the password on the Veeam media pool?
In case encryption password is set on the media pool (i.e. software encryption is used) - it will work like described. When hardware encryption is used (tapes are encrypted on the go by library itself) - decryption is performed automatically whenever you are using the same tape device. Cheers!