Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
shallriseagain
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Anton

Backing up to ssd, then relocate to SATA.

Post by shallriseagain »

Hello!

I have a 6+ TB virtual machine. Also i have a pretty slow NLSAS (RAID-5) repository and SSD repo.
I'm trying to find a solution to make a backup to SSD disks (To speed up backup. Destination is bottleneck in my case), then somehow relocate backup to NLSAS repository.
The only solution I see is to make a Full backup + 6 increments to SSD, after that relocate this chain to NLSAS and clear SSD.

Has anyone solved this problem?
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Backing up to ssd, then relocate to SATA.

Post by ejenner »

depends how often you want to do a full backup. There's no reason to do full backups with Veeam. After the initial backup you can configure incremental backups.

Maybe your question is missing some information.... like that you're trying to backup 6TB of changes on EVERY run of the job? If not... you should be fine writing incrementals straight to the slow disk?

Another option is to configure the backup to run once to the fast storage and then you can setup a BACKUP COPY job which writes to your slow storage with the necessary retention period for the requirements of your organization.
shallriseagain
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Anton

Post by shallriseagain »

It's ok with incrementals. I think it's not good to create a lot of incrementals without full backups. Isn't it?
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz »

With forever forward incrementals it will periodically merge incrementals into a full. This is known as a synthetic full. It saves a lot of time on the production hardware. I have my servers run one once a week.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner »

shallriseagain wrote: Jul 03, 2019 11:14 am It's ok with incrementals. I think it's not good to create a lot of incrementals without full backups. Isn't it?
It's fine. As mentioned above, Veeam takes care of that. There are a number of options you could look into. Forever Forward configuration moves your full backup forward every time you run the job and leaves only incrementals behind to provide the historical restore points, the full backup is kept at the front of the chain. You can also configure backup files health check which will check and repair the backup data in the background according to your schedule. You also have synthetic fulls as mentioned above. Those are made by combining the data on the repository to construct a full backup on the storage without going back to your source, it uses the data that is already on the repository.

So a number of ways of protecting it. You'll probably find the vast majority of Veeam customers are only backing up incrementals most of the time. There will be special cases where a full backup is a requirement but if I had to guess... I'd say that is unusual.

On my archive copy of my backup I do 95 incrementals, 1 every 24 hours. Then every quarter I do one and then once a year. Which should give me 2 years worth of archive to some level.
daniel.farrelly
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Daniel Farrelly

Post by daniel.farrelly »

like ejenner said: backup to ssd repo; backup copy to sata repo.