Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Nektarrr
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lennert Decoster

Production data backup

Post by Nektarrr »

Hi all,

I was wondering if I can accomplish the following with Veeam:
- I have about 20-30 Windows workstation in production that generate a lot of data that needs to be backed up.
- I would need to be able to copy (sync) the data from specific folders on the given machine(s) to our backup location on a daily basis.
- The possibility to exclude some files.
- The possibility to delete files that haven't been modified in the last week on the workstation (so actually perform a move instead of a copy of these files, this to prevent the workstations from filling up their HDD with data).
- The possibility to keep the data from certain machines indefinitely.

Can this be done with Veeam or not?
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Best Regards,

Nektarrr
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Production data backup

Post by wishr »

Hi Lennert,

Yes, all of these goals can be accomplished with Veeam Agent, except "The possibility to delete files that haven't been modified in the last week on the workstation".

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Production data backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Nektarrr wrote:The possibility to delete files that haven't been modified in the last week on the workstation (so actually perform a move instead of a copy of these files, this to prevent the workstations from filling up their HDD with data).
This is a bit dangerous to ask for, as a backup tool usually creates a backup of the system and does not modify/delete any files from the source. Moreover, this functionality will not protect workstations from consuming all space available as users can create and store more and more data that they use all the time. Here is a UG page with all the features available for Veeam Agent when managed by a backup server.