Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
sb1920alk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: SB

Turn off SQL Log Truncation for VAW Free Edition

Post by sb1920alk »

This was case # 03645095, which was automatically closed due to high Support Team load.

How do we turn off SQL Log Truncation for VAW Free Edition? We have a separate process that is backing up SQL, and VAW is breaking the transaction log chain when it runs. We would prefer to not use guest interaction at all. Failing that, we would next prefer to do a "Copy-only" backup of the SQL files, but is not an option on the free edition. We are trying to only back up the C: drive, but there are a few small SQL databases on C: (master, tempdb, etc.). If we switch to File level backup (slower), with an exclude mask of *.mfd and *.ldf, would that do it?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Turn off SQL Log Truncation for VAW Free Edition

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
in general
VAW Free or Workstation will truncate logs by default when it is installed on server operating systems.
from the "master of VAW"

VSS is always used.

But your idea with the file level might work. At least I don't see new SQL backups with file level backup with the following command I just copied from the internet.

Code: Select all

SELECT  name ,
            recovery_model_desc ,
            state_desc ,
            d AS 'Last Full Backup' ,
            i AS 'Last Differential Backup' ,
            l AS 'Last log Backup'
    FROM    ( SELECT    db.name ,
                        db.state_desc ,
                        db.recovery_model_desc ,
                        type ,
                        backup_finish_date
              FROM      master.sys.databases db
                        LEFT OUTER JOIN msdb.dbo.backupset a ON a.database_name = db.name
            ) AS Sourcetable 
        PIVOT 
            ( MAX(backup_finish_date) FOR type IN ( D, I, L ) ) AS MostRecentBackup
Can you verify that it works also for you?

Thanks,
Hannes
sb1920alk
Novice

Post by sb1920alk »

We will try it.

https://www.veeam.com/products-edition-comparison.html has a "dash" and not a "check" for the Application Aware Processing/Transaction log backup feature in the Free edition column. We took that to mean that the free edition does not perform transaction log backups (which is the behavior we are after in this specific use case). Apparently that is not correct?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

free edition does not perform transaction log backups
correct. But it truncates them to avoid that a server runs out of disk space.
sb1920alk
Novice

Post by sb1920alk »

If you hover the mouse over APPLICATION AWARE PROCESSING->Application aware processing, the hovertext says, "Create application-consistent backups with advanced application-aware processing (including transaction log truncation)."

The legend at the top of the chart defines the dash character as "Not included".

There is a dash in the Application aware processing row of the Free edition column on the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows page edition comparison page.

I don't think I'm reaching here to conclude that the Free edition of VAW shouldn't be truncating SQL logs (or performing any application aware processing steps). Am I the only one that reads it this way?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Am I the only one that reads it this way?
you are probably the first one reading it and having issues with the log truncation. It is not normal that someone who uses free edition knows how to do manual log backup. :-)

We do that to prevent the majority of our customers from issues. If you need full control, server edition is the way to go.
sb1920alk
Novice

Post by sb1920alk »

So, no help then? Can we at least get the website updated to accurately reflect the feature set of the free edition (i.e. performs log truncation without an option to turn it off)?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

too many details for a "sales" website from my point of view. It says "no application processing" which is correct. Well, you found a detail that helps many customers, but I will not start a process to change that website. Everyone who can use an internet search engine will find this post anyway.