Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ithelp345
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: IT Admin

Symlinks are not being backed up

Post by ithelp345 »

I have a file to tape backup setup. Once it was done running, there were lots of issues with files. Looking at the log, they all have the following error

Code: Select all

[08.07.2019 15:05:54] <35> Error    [TapeBatchTransfer] Error: 
[08.07.2019 15:05:54] <35> Error    Problem with reading from source.
[08.07.2019 15:05:54] <35> Error    --tr:Failed to write file from stream to tape
[08.07.2019 15:05:54] <35> Error    [TapeBatchFileBackup] An error occurred during the backup: <path>. Reason: Problem with reading from source.
When looking at a few of the files, it turned out to be that they were all symlinks. According to the manual, symlinks are supposed to be supported - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ag ... efore.html
"Veeam Agent for Linux does not back up data to which symbolic links are targeted. It only backs up the path information that the symbolic links contain. After restore, identical symbolic links are created in the restore destination."

How come all of my symlinks failed?

I opened case # 03656604
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Symlinks are not being backed up

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I have a file to tape backup setup
I moved your question to the tape forum as you are not using the Veeam Agent for Linux. This also means that the user guide for the Veeam Agent for Linux is not relevant.

I need to check, but this could be a limitation of the "file to tape job". In general, the idea of "file to tape" is writing a few files to tape and not backing up complex file structures.

Best regards,
Hannes
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Symlinks are not being backed up

Post by HannesK »

I just tested in my lab and file-to-tape follows the symbolic link. that means if you restore, you get the file instead of the link.

this is expected behavior as stated here

Note: I don't have any error messages like you in my logfiles