Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jround
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Backing up a VM volume that is actually a SAN mapped by iSCSI initiator

Post by jround »

A bit of a complex one this!

Basically we have a Windows 2008 R2 VM with around 15 virtual disks - VMDK - fine, so Veeam backs up the actual VM and disk files as usual

However this VM also links in to a singular 10TB HP SAN via Microsoft iSCSI initiator which then is presented to Windows as L:\ drive - obviously this doesn't get backed up by Veeam. So several quite scary risks at the moment, if the building in which the SAN is located had a flood/fire/theft all the data is gone with no backup...or if someone accidentally deletes some files...no backup...eek!

Of course the long term goal would simply be to create a 10TB VMDK on our production SAN units which have replication/failover and all the bells and whistles, we are talking to the company about doing that at the moment. In the meantime however I would like to create some form of backup so I can start to sleep at night again!

Can this be achieved through Veeam or would I require a different backup solution? It is an archive drive so the files don't change too much it just keeps growing
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backing up a VM volume that is actually a SAN mapped by iSCSI initiator

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
very easy: use Veeam Agent for Windows (I moved your post the that forum)

For physical machines, you need a tool for physical backup (iSCSI is physical) :-)

Best regards,
Hannes