Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sogapex
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

SCHEDULING DEPENDING JOBS

Post by sogapex »

Hello,

Currently, we have 2 schedule jobs :
- job1 = full backup, during night, usb disk, each day of the week (all but saturday and sunday)
- job2 = incremental backup, after job1, NAS (one full backup once a month)

Most of the time, I launch manually job2 during lunchtime to get more restore points

What I would want for job2 =
- after job1
- at 12:30 on monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday and saturday

Is it possible to set another job (job3) to do that (and keep the same incremental chain as job2) ?

Regards,
Michel
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: SCHEDULING DEPENDING JOBS

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Michel,
sogapex wrote:Is it possible to set another job (job3) to do that (and keep the same incremental chain as job2) ?
Jobs do not share backup chains between each other, so job3 would just create another backup chain with full and incremental restore points as job2 is currently doing. If you want to chain jobs ( not recommended), then you can use a post backup job script in job1 to trigger job2 as soon as job1 is done.

Thanks!
sogapex
Enthusiast

Post by sogapex »

in fact, this is already the case : job2 is triggered by job1 (when finished)

But : I want to schedule more restore point for job2 than job1 and we can't mix different kind of scheduling

I will try the "automatic resource planning" then (setting both job approximately at the same time without taking care of which one start or finish)

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ah, I see. Yes, in this situation you can use the concurrent tasks limit to control the start time of the jobs. If there are no slots available on the proxy, then the second job will just wait. Thanks!
sogapex
Enthusiast

Post by sogapex » 1 person likes this post

here are the results of this night :

before = job1 starts at 00:10, ends at 3:05 / job2 starts at 3:05, ends at 3:36 (average)
now : job1 started at 00:10, ended at 3:13 / job2 started at 00:20, ended at 3:12

so far so good.
I will now wait for the new "noon" schedule for job2 to see if everything is correct.

regards,
Michel
sogapex
Enthusiast

Post by sogapex » 1 person likes this post

It worked as intended at lunchtime today.
From what I can see : it is "perfect".

Really a great feature being able to just "throw" all the jobs at the same time and let Veeam B&R manage all the "boring" stuff by itself
No more "brain wash" to try getting the most of our backup infrastructure. (2 proxy servers and 3 targets possible in our case.)

This is also very handy when we need to "offset" some jobs to free a given time window for other operations.

Brilliant.
Many thanks for your solution.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, this is exactly why we recommend to avoid job chaining in favor of this solution. Glad that it worked out for you!