Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
doddsyuk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: doddsyuk

Backup maintenance querys

Post by doddsyuk »

Can the maintenance tasks be relied upon to give you the same level of confidence in your backups as performing a Periodic Full Backups?

Based on your experiences, how long would a 100gb backup file take to run and is the time increase to data increase linear (e.g. 200gb takes twice as long as 100gb) for?

a. Perform backup files health check
b. Defragment and compact full backup file

If I set the either of these to be run on a day when backups aren't due to run will they run?

e.g. if I run my vm backup on Tuesdays only, but want the "Defragment and compact full backup file" to run on a Sunday when my backup server is idle, will it run?

If it makes a difference I currently perform reverse incremental backups.
gfarcas
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: George Farcas

Re: Backup maintenance querys

Post by gfarcas » 1 person likes this post

Hello doddsyuk,

Performing health checks should give you a level of confidence as it performs hash and CRC checks to detect file level coruption.

In regards of time required for these tasks, it depends also on your hardware, storage troughoput, IOPS etc.
Programming quote - "When I developed this program only god & I knew what I did, now only god knows"
doddsyuk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: doddsyuk

Re: Backup maintenance querys

Post by doddsyuk »

Performing health checks should give you a level of confidence as it performs hash and CRC checks to detect file level coruption.
Thanks, I had read that in the documentation, I don't have SureBackup so have always run a periodic full. The size of my backups are getting larger as we introduce more VMs and with VM growth, and when using periodic full you can often have 2 full copies at a time until an old full expire. I currently backup the Veeam backups to tape using Backup Exec (which I use for physical server backups such as our file server), I was looking into removing the full periodic backups to reduced overall backup times and was hoping someone could confirm or deny my belief that these measures are as good as the Full backup with regards to backup reliability of the backup
In regards of time required for these tasks, it depends also on your hardware, storage troughoput, IOPS etc.
I realise that, but I was hoping to get a few answers which would give me a better idea of the affect it would have on my backup time windows. I suppose I should have given some context to make the comparison easier. Some performance examples for my periodic full backups are,

job A: 400GB processed, 236GB read, 64GB transferred, time taken 1h 15min
job B: 125GB processed, 106GB read, 54GB transferred, time taken 40 min
job C: 40GB processed, 19GB read, 12GB transferred, time taken 14 min