Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Michael

feature request - accelerate SOBR download

Post by mcz »

Hello everybody,

I'm currently downloading backup files from object storage to our local performance tier for migration purposes (switching to another S3 provider). Now currently I'm downloading a chain for a single VM and I have noticed that veeam does not always consume the available bandwith due to some operations like "moving offloaded backup file xxxx from extent xxx to xxx". It seems that during that time, no other download is taking place and so I felt that this process could probably be improved.

I understand that you'd probably do not wannt to download multiple restore points of the same VM in parallel (for dedupe-reasons) but if one restore point has been downloaded, the next job would be ready to start?

So why do I know this? In our firewall statistics I can see quite a long time without traffic after a download (approx 10 minutes without any download). If I'd run multiple jobs for different VM's, the bandwith would be used quite efficiently but if you only download one VM (like I do at the moment), you're wasting a lot of time. So I'm having 122 restore points (122 -1) x 10 minutes delay = 1210 minutes or 20 hours (!!!)

I know that this is quite theoretical because if the next download job is dependent on the first one (e.g. if some blocks will be used from performance tier) then the next job would also get delayed - but I'd say that there would still be a improvement in time.

Please let me know what you think about it - thank you!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: feature request - accelerate SOBR download

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I'm thinking that support should investigate that. Depending on the outcome, improvements from our side might be a good idea.

Please post the case number here for reference.

Thanks,
Hannes
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Michael

Re: feature request - accelerate SOBR download

Post by mcz »

Hi Hannes,

case number is 03620219.