Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DDV
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jesus A.

[SOLVED] Veeam Backup service wont start after update to v9.5 U4

Post by DDV »

Hi,

I have update Veeam version 9.5 U3 to 9.5 U4 and now i have not access to the console and the Backup service wont start after updating.
I can't take to take the log files since i have not access to the console.

These are the errors i can find:

From windows event viewer:

Code: Select all

Event ID 0
Service cannot be started. System.OperationCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
at Veeam.Backup.DBCreator.BackupDatabaseDeployer.CanDeploy(IDatabaseVersion databaseVersion)
at Veeam.Backup.DBCreator.BackupDatabaseDeployer.DatabaseDeploy(List`1 inDeployChangedOptions)
at Veeam.Backup.DBCreator.BackupDatabaseDeployer.Deploy()
at Veeam.Backup.DBManager.SqlRetryableInitializer.Init()
at Veeam.Backup.Service.CVbServiceImpl..ctor(CVbEnvironment env, CTerminationMediator terminator)
at Veeam.Backup.Service.CVeeamBackupSvc.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)
From Veeam console:

Code: Select all

Failed to connect to the Veeam Backup & Replication server:
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it :9392
This is a production server that need be operative as soon as posible, can you help me? my case ID 03394066
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Veeam Backup service wont start after update to v9.5 U4

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi DDV,
First: Welcome to the forums!
Second: Please continue to work with the support team. I noticed that our team is trying to contact you for a remote session.
There can be multiple things that causes this issue. You upgraded to U4 but did all of your consoles being upgraded? Or did you only upgrade the B&R main server and not other components?
In this case, most likely the Veeam Backup & Replication service on the main B&R server won't be running (if I understand the situation correctly).
PS: What exactly do you mean by not having access to the console? Does it mean that you temporarily had access to that B&R server to do the update but now access is revoked? Because I do believe you will need to get access to the logs to solve this problem...
DDV
Lurker
Full Name: Jesus A.

Re: Veeam Backup service wont start after update to v9.5 U4

Post by DDV » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
I have been i contact with the support and they found that after the update, the database was locked, so they made this workaround to fix it:

- we created a backup for Veeam DB
https://www.veeam.com/kb1471
- and then we removed the lock file:

EDIT by moderator: removed SQL command as there is a better command and this command can have negative side-effects. Please contact support instead.

Thank for the help.
Last edited by HannesK on Sep 20, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: support informed me, that the command is incomplete and should be used in a different way according to QA
Optimine
Lurker
Full Name: Bryan Lundberg

Re: [SOLVED] Veeam Backup service wont start after update to v9.5 U4

Post by Optimine » 1 person likes this post

Additional solution for the same error for me.
------------------------
TL/DR: SQL 2008 R2 was no longer supported and the Veeam backup database needed to be moved to a newer (SQL Server 2016 for me) instance.
------------------------
Full description:
After Microsoft updates, security patching (the likely culprit), and OS restarts Veeam Backup v9.5 U4 would no longer start.
(Failed to connect to the Veeam Backup & Replication server: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it)

I found the Veeam Backup Service, Veeam Broker Service, and Veeam Cloud Connect Service services were not running and would not start (Windows reported that they would start and then immediately stop).

Further digging showed two SQL instances being used by Veeam, one 2008 R2 and another 2016.

Verify name of the (2008R2) SQL instance and Veeam database in windows registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\SqlServerName (This is the server name where SQL is running)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\SqlInstanceName (This is the instance name needed for the connection, which is in the format Servername\InstanceName)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\SqlDatabaseName (This is the database name in the Databases folder once you connect)

The SQL 2008 R2 services also would not start, and the error listed in Event Viewer was:
The SQL Server ([My2008R2InstanceName]) service terminated with the following service-specific error:
The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm.
(where [My2008R2InstanceName] is specific to my local install)

Copy the SQL data and log files (VeeamBackup.MDF and VeeamBackup_log.LDF) from
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.[My2008R2InstanceName]\MSSQL\DATA (or wherever your old database files are stored)
to
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.[My2016InstanceName]\MSSQL\DATA (default location, doesn't really matter)

Then go to SQL Server Management Studio, connect to the 2016 instance (ServerName\InstanceName), right-click Databases and choose "Attach".
From the Attach Databases dialog box, navigate to the copy you made of the .mdf file from above in the 2016 instance, and click [Add...]
Make sure the database details window fills in with the copies you made of the .mdf and .ldf files. Click OK.

Go back to your registry setting and redirect the following keys as necessary to point to the (now) 2016 hosted database.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\SqlInstanceName
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\SqlServerName

Start the Veeam Backup Service, Veeam Broker Service, and Veeam Cloud Connect Service services.
Start Veeam Backup and Replication shell as normal.
tkanel
Lurker
Full Name: Theodoros Kanellopoulos

Post by tkanel » 1 person likes this post

I had the same issue due to machine rename,after Veeam installation.Edit registry and everything was OK.
sigsyr
Novice
Liked: never

Post by sigsyr »

I had the same issue after renaming the server as well. Just had to update:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\SqlServerName

Would be nice if Veeam defaulted to using "localhost" instead of the machine name, as servers do get renamed from time to time. The only time it should be hard coded is if you're using a separate server for SQL.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Actually, it's an interesting request. I will clarify if there are some specific reasons which do not allow us to use "localhost" as SQL server name when the "Install new instance" option is selected in this step of the wizard.

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Technically, it is possible to use "localhost". The request is noted but I cannot comment on ETA as we need to estimate the time required to implement such a change and to prioritize this task accordingly.

Thanks!
Gustav
Enthusiast
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Gustav Brock

Post by Gustav »

The command line misses the full -q command:

EDIT by moderator: removed SQL command as there is a better command and this command can have negative side-effects. Please contact support instead.
Last edited by HannesK on Sep 20, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: support informed me, that the command is incomplete and should be used in a different way according to QA - SQLCMD -S (SqlServerName)\SqlInstanceName -d VeeamBackup -q "DELETE FROM [dbo].[Options] WHERE name = 'lock_info'"