Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chrisknight
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Knight

create snapshots

Post by chrisknight »

Hello,
I use the licensed version of Veeam. I have 2 backup jobs at night and a replication job throughout the day. I want to take a snapshot of my VM's in vSphere 4.1 in order to use Microsoft update site to patch about 70 updates. If these MS updates cause issues I want to roll back to the snapshot.
Question:
Will this harm anything I do with Veeam if I hold onto the snapshots for a while?
Thanks,
Chris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: create snapshots

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Chris,

You should be safe with snapshots. By the way have you considered using On-Demand Sandbox to test all the patches before going to production with them?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Veeam performs "consolidated" backup, grabbing the actual (live) state of VM disks, same as VM sees it. Snapshot presence will not disrupt anything.
chrisknight
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Knight

Post by chrisknight »

Thank you for the replies. That information is good news. I am running Veeam 4.1.2 64-bit. During the introduction of v5 we sent in for our free upgrade license but I don't think it was the full version or something happened with the license not working. Are there different versions? Anyway I don't have v5 so I don't think I have the sandbox option. Maybe someone can confirm also that the "SAN with Failover" does not exist in v5? All of my jobs every night use failover mode because I never could get the Veeam box to see the iSCSI device. If I upgrade to v5 to get the sandbox functions, can I still backup using the "failover" method? And, is that the same as "Network" mode?
Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Backup engine did not change between v4 and v5, all backup modes are still there and the same.