Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rustiferch
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Hall

Veeam B&R ESXi and Hyper-V interchangeability

Post by rustiferch »

Hi Everyone!

I have a site with a new server and wanting to use old server as a backup.

I was originally going to continue down the path of using ESXi on both boxes with Veeam B&R in a VM. This would mean allotting the old servers datastore to a VHD in the backup VM.
The benefit of this is having the same Virtualization software. The draw back is the speed at which rotated USB HDD's attached to the VM would perform at. Its ESXI 6.7 but the USB speed of the the old server at the moment (ESXi 6.0) was awful. I'm not sure its palatable.

The other option is keep the new server on ESXi 6.7 but use Hyper-V on the backup one. I could still have the Veeam VM but backup to file shares on the Hyper-V server. This means USB rotated disks would run at max speed. The draw back would be the mix of technologies.

Can Veeam even handle an instant VM recovery from backup when the backup source is ESXi and the recovery host is Hyper-V?
What's everyone's thoughts on this? I think I'm leaning on the ESXi & ESXi side of things but I'm concerned on the USB copy speed and the fact that most of datastore is allotted to the VM.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam B&R ESXi and Hyper-V interchangeability

Post by veremin »

Few things:

- First, storing backups on production datastore is not recommended. More information on that
- Second, cross-platform Instant Recovery is not possible

Thanks!