Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Windows 10 Version Compatibility?

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi guys,

We have a backup server running Windows 10 v1809 and it wants to update to v1903. We have only just installed Veeam B&R 9.5 U4a and we're not planning on upgrading to U4b for about 2-4 months as everything is running perfectly.

Is U4a compatible with Windows 10 v1903? I can't see anywhere any mention of a version of Windows 10, of which there are now 8 Release versions (1 being before the RTM version), except for in U4b that it supports Windows Windows 10 v1903, but this seems to be the first mention of the Windows 10 version.

When I look here (below) it says U4 supports "Windows 10 (including version 1903)" but I don't know how this is possible as U4 came out in February and Windows 10 v1903 came out in May. I guess your QA team may have checked it out but I'd like to be certain that this isn't a typo.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... kup_server
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Windows 10 Version Compatibility?

Post by ejenner »

I think I remember reading that it was checked to verify compatibility and found that nothing in the 1903 update had any effect on functionality. I may be remembering incorrectly though.

So even though it was released before the latest version of Windows it was still possible to verify the compatibility afterwards.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

AlexLeadingEdge wrote: Jul 17, 2019 2:29 amIs U4a compatible with Windows 10 v1903?
No, U4a is not compatible with Windows 10 version 1903. You need to upgrade to U4b. Thanks!
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Thanks Gostev. I had a chat with Veeam Support yesterday and they told me based on the link above that versions U4 and U4a are fully compatible with Windows 10 v1903, so you might want to let the staff know this isn't the case.

Case # 03667764
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We don't have separate Help Centers for U4, U4a and U4b. The single Help Center shows the current state of the most recent patch, so what you see there now is correct. I think it comes down to the lack of experience of your support engineer, so sorry about that. Anyhow, I always recommend consulting the Release Notes document of the corresponding release for system requirements information on the particular build. This is actually the reason why we include one in the Download area, so it is a good idea to always download and store it along with the downloaded bits.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

Or you can run the .exe and keep hitting 'next' until you get an error message...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Actually, I am afraid this won't work in many cases, since it would require the "old" EXE to be somehow already aware of the new platform version yet to be released sometimes in future ;)
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner » 1 person likes this post

I'll have to rethink my primary install technique...
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Gostev wrote: Jul 18, 2019 11:51 amI always recommend consulting the Release Notes document of the corresponding release for system requirements information on the particular build. This is actually the reason why we include one in the Download area, so it is a good idea to always download and store it along with the downloaded bits.
Unfortunately I will have to point you back to this forum thread I created on this exact topic:

veeam-backup-replication-f2/veeam-b-r-4 ... 60404.html
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Alex,

Can you please elaborate what information is missing? Indeed, there might be some lag during Release Notes update and you might see the older Release Notes document, but now it reflects the correct version: Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4b is available ... starting from July 16, 2019. The support for 1903 is listed for the Veeam B&R components. Cheers!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

There was a temporary issue with Update 4a release notes PDF availability at that time (this is what Alex is talking about).