Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
bs14
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup O365 to Azure

Post by bs14 »

According to a blog post back in autumn of last year (https://www.veeam.com/blog/office-365-b ... arket.html) we can backup O365 data to Azure.
I'm asking myself what benefit I get out of this, because Azure data and O365 data are stored in the same data centers. Has anybody a good reason for e scenario like that? Wouldn't it be better to put the data in the AWS cloud instead?

Thanks for any advice.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backup O365 to Azure

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey,

There can be a few reasons to do this. But before I give them, you need to realize that protecting O365 data to an Azure VM is not exactly the same data center. O365 service and Azure IaaS are pretty much completely separated. Especially when you would deploy your Azure VM in a different region. If you use the same region, they do share some physical components, but that's it.

So reasons:
* You only have an Azure subscription and not AWS subscription. Could be company policy for example.
* Downloading data and uploading (so recovery) will have no egress / ingress costs. With AWS you might have egress costs (depending on your account and billing) when you upload data (recovery)
* Speed: Backing up data from O365 to an AWS VM might be slower (depending on how the network config is between)
* And I am sure there are others :-)
bs14
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by bs14 »

Hey Mike
Thanks for the response, these are valuable reasons. I might need to think about it, especially the cost factor I didn't consider. Just need to figure out where the O365 data are stored and finding another Azure region for the backup, sounds like a plan:)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey BS14,

And to finish, we are aware that this strategy (Backup to an Azure or Amazon VM) is getting more and more traction, so we are already working on something to improve that experience ;-)