Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
jcavalear
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Joe Cavalear

Error: Not enough license counters

Post by jcavalear »

After upgrading to B & R Update 4 and applying the new instance based license I am having an issue with a handful of Veeam Agent machines not able to acquire a Workstation Instance license. The B & R Console has successfully pushed out the upgrade to Agent Version 3.0.0.748 but it shows up as Free Edition. It does say "LIcense and edition are managed by <my B &R server>. "

We have plenty of free Instance licenses available and also have "Allow free agents to consume instances" checked.

When I look at my Instance licenses and try to manage I have a handful of "unlicensed" machines in the console that have a generic machine name that does not exist in my domain. Several of the machines try to register as the same generic name. When I try to manually assign a license I get an error that says "Unable to change agent licensing mode for hosts: XXXX and YYYYY." It returns two host names, the generic name and the actual correct machine ID.

I opened a support case and they asked us to run a query against our DB. When we ran the query against a copy of our DB as a test we didn't find the table they were asking for but one very similar that included the problem machine names in question. When we reported this we were told the case would need to be escalated and got a request to compile log files for a second time and a DB copy.

I have requested that our case be escalated without providing all the log files a second time since had we NOT done a test we would have run the query against our production DB anyway.

Just wondering if any other users have run into this issue regarding some, but not all, agents having a problem applying new Instance licenses on workstation agents? We had a similar issue when upgrading to Update 3a that was resolved by completely removing the Veeam Agent and all associated hidden files from the workstation and pushing out a new Agent from the B & R console. I tried that in this case but it did not resolve my issue this time.

Case # 03417045
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Error: Not enough license counters

Post by Dima P. »

Hello jcavalear.

Can confirm that I am aware of several issues where license counters were not correctly distributed to backup agents. In these cases DB analysis was required to identify why free counters were locked and not distributed.
i3rsystadm
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: i3rsystadm

Post by i3rsystadm »

After upgrading to B & R Update 4 and applying the new instance based license
When I try to manually assign a license I get an error that says "Unable to change agent licensing mode for hosts: XXXX and YYYYY." It returns two host names, the generic name and the actual correct machine ID.
Hi jcavalear,

We are facing the same problem. Did you find a solution ?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi I3rsystadm,

The initial case has been resolved with the assistance of our support team. I'd suggest raising a support case on your own.

Thanks
i3rsystadm
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: i3rsystadm

Post by i3rsystadm » 1 person likes this post

Hi wishr,

Thank you for your reply.
We have already opened a case but we have had no answer yet.
I will wait.

Case #03662517
crazyfox
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alisa Fox

Post by crazyfox »

i3rsystadm,

We are facing the same problem. Did you find a solution ?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Alisa,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums!

The case you asked about has been resolved by manipulating B&R SQL table contents. I'd suggest reaching our support team independently since the underlying circumstances are different across the aforementioned cases.

Thanks
jcavalear
Influencer
Full Name: Joe Cavalear

Post by jcavalear » 1 person likes this post

Hi guys,

Sorry I wasn't quicker to reply, I didn't see the questions.

Fedor is correct in that support helped us go into specific SQL tables to clean up some stale data. Opening a support case is your best bet. You may have to request that it be escalated to tier 2 support as my case needed to get escalated before we were able to do a WebEx session with support and get things resolved.

Good luck
Joe
TheJourney
Influencer
Full Name: Sam Journagan

Post by TheJourney »

Is there a KB for this issue? Seems to happen when the host name changes, which is ridiculous to say the least.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Sam.

There is no KB article as several problems describe in this post were caused by database issues, so were addressed by our support team.

If your get this error - please check the licensing tab in Veeam B&R and if you notice some hosts that are no longer processed by Veeam B&R you can use Revoke license to get the licensing counters back. Cheers!