Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mplep
Service Provider
Liked: never

Anyone using Veeam and DPM on Exchange?

Post by mplep »

Hi,

We use Microsoft DPM 2010 to backup Exchange 2007. DPM performs an offsite VSS backup of the logs ever 30 mins. We also use Veeam (with VSS) once a day to replicate the Exchange servers offsite. The idea is that in a disaster we can fire up the Veeam replicas and use DPM to restore the DB's the the latest DPM sync. We use VSS in Veeam to ensure the DB's are intact, but is that necessary if we intend to restore them via DPM anyway? The questioning on whether to use VSS in Veeam is that it conflicts with DPM when they both run. I get a load of VSS errors in the event logs and lots of DPM failed jobs whilst Veeam performs it's VSS replication. We get a VSS Veeam replica however and DPM recovers afterwards, but it's untidy and generates a lot of alerts. I appreciate this is not a direct Veeam question, but any input would be welcomed.

Thanks

mplep
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Anyone using Veeam and DPM on Exchange?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Basically you should be fine with having non-application consistent backups made by Veeam while protecting all Exchange data with DPM.

On the other hand the whole solution seems far from ideal to me, as you're forced to store your backup data twice for the same server, plus it adds another level of complexity while performing Exchange restores. If you have a goal to simply restore Exchange data as quickly as possible (without spending much time on applying transaction logs) then I would prefer to go with Veeam only.

However if there is a requirement to use native tools (agent-based) then disabling Veeam's implementation of application-consistency would still allow you to restore your database after restoring VM image.
mplep
Service Provider
Liked: never

Post by mplep »

Thanks for the reply. We only use Veeam once a day whilst DPM allows us to backup every 30mins. Veeam won't go near that schedule with our current configuration using ESXi offsite with the Veeam server also offsite.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Oh I see...thanks for clarifications. In this case I see no reasons why your approach (DPM+Veeam) shouldn't work.