Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jloveless
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joel Loveless

Moving AZURE performance tier to physical storage

Post by jloveless »

We deployed our offsite backups to Azure and added the Blob capacity storage when update 4 was released. The Azure server performance deployed (lowest cost model) is significantly insufficient to handle the IO loads for the file merges, take 4-6 days to complete. Obviously, this delays data from being sent offsite while the jobs are running. It has been decided to deploy large physical storage arrays to our DR site and add them to the AZURE_SOBR. We will then retire the Azure extent servers and transfer the files to the new extents. We want to maintain the restore point chains for the data currently offsite and in the BLOB.

My concerns are with the procedure steps to implement this. We are using SOBR with Data Locality rules. Once the new extents are added, Veeam would attempt to keep restore point files on the same extent but possibly create new fulls on other extents. This will create IO requirements over the network to copy down from Azure since block cloning would not be available. Also, Veeam would not stop writing new files to the Azure extents until they are in maintenance mode. We all know that files on extents in maintenance mode are not visible for ANY operations. I have posted a question to support about a read only mode extent but they say this is not possible. (Feature update!) Putting an extent into read only mode and letting the normal GFS deletion/BLOB migration processes slowly remove the files from each extent would be the preferred method. It just doesn't work that way.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this scenario? Do I put extents I want to retire in maintenance mode and run new active fulls? Then, evacuate extents to move remaining file chains. Do I take significant downtime and migrate all extents (120TB @ 30MB/sec = 44 days) from Azure before running jobs again? Do I let Veeam just work and figure it out on it's own? Do I just start a new SOBR but loose the connection to all previous backups (not preferred)?

Current AZURE_SOBR is 3 Azure servers (low disk rate configuration) with 60TB each plus BLOB capacity tier.
Adding 4 physical array extents of 300TB each
10gb network available, concerned about internal routing of traffic

Any help would be appreciated.

Joel
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Moving AZURE performance tier to physical storage

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Just because I'm interested: You have the bad merge performance even with REFS?

Your request about the read-only repository was heard and we are planning it already. That would work exactly for your use case.

The easiest way today is probably to start a new scale out repository. You are not losing any data if you just keep the old VMs & data until retention is over.

Best regards,
Hannes
jloveless
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joel Loveless

Post by jloveless »

My Azure servers were built on 2012 so the disk IO is high without REFS block cloning available. I heard today that the next release will include a function for read only SOBR extents. Sure could use it now for this migration.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

I heard today that the next release will include a function for read only SOBR extents
yes, that's what I mentioned :-)

So if you have time to wait for the next release... (no, I don't have an exact answer when the release will be ;-))