Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
karnov
Novice
Liked: never

Remote Physical Server with remote NAS

Post by karnov »

Running B&R 9.5.4.2866

I have a remote site in Europe with one physical Windows 2012 R2 server that is a file server. At the remote site there is a NAS SynologyDisktation which is not being used. Right now I have the physical server being backed up to our headquarters in the US in our Veeam Hyper-V environment/repository which is not ideal.

Is there a way to backup this phyiscal Windows 2012 R2 server to the remote NAS directly (not going to the US HQ)?

I have added the Diskstation as a remote repository to the Infrastructure and it is accessible and working. However when I tried to add the physical server as a backup proxy it appears that the backup proxy only works with VMs and not physical servers. Also I believe it is not ideal to have the server that is being backed up acting as a proxy.

What is the recommended solution for a physical server to back up to an onsite NAS at a remote location?

Thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Remote Physical Server with remote NAS

Post by Dima P. »

Hello karnov,

Veeam Agents do not use backup proxies but leverage the repository gateway server functionality. To store the backup files directly to local repo - try to select a local (secondary site) server as a gateway for your NAS repository. Once done agent will go to backup server to authenticate, but will talk to the gateway server directly during data transfer.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Remote Physical Server with remote NAS

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

yes, backup proxies are only for virtual machine backup. You want to deploy the Veeam Agent for Windows :-)

If you want to manage everything from a central place, then I recommend using a "managed by agent" job and point to the NAS. Then the traffic goes directly to the NAS and even if there is no connection to the central VBR server, the agent will do the backups.

Best regards,
Hannes