Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
abaucom
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Duplicate uuid issue of proxy

Post by abaucom »

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

New Veeam B/R installation and trying to get the virtual appliance hot-add working. Fresh install, added manual esxi host, added proxy VM (virtual appliance mode) located on same esxi host. Trying to backup a different VM (absshop3) on same esxi host and cannot get rid of this error complaining that the bios uuid of the selected proxy is the same uuid as the underlying VM hosting the proxy (duh).

Have an open Veeam tech support case but that is proving fruitless so far.

Code: Select all

<01> Info     [ProxyDetector] Detecting hotadd access level
[24.07.2019 12:39:07] <01> Info     [ProxyDetector] Detected all suitable ESXs (where vm's datastores are mounted): ha-host
[24.07.2019 12:39:07] <01> Info     VM absbcc1-proxy4(9) has the same bios uuid as proxy absbcc1-proxy4 in the DB
[24.07.2019 12:39:07] <01> Info     [ProxyDetector] Proxy VM is not found or is not on suitable ESX. No disks can be processed through hotadd and can't failover to network
[24.07.2019 12:39:07] <01> Info     [ProxyDetector] Skipping proxy [absbcc1-proxy4], can't detect storage access level. Proxy mode 'HotAdd', falover to network 'False'
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Duplicate uuid issue of proxy

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Usually this issue come from the point where you clone the Proxy Server VMs. You need to create them manually one by one and install windows on it. It is a limitation of VMware Software DEV kit that we have to use.
abaucom
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Post by abaucom » 1 person likes this post

I did not clone anything. I've checked the VM bios.uuid as well as the Windows Server internal uuid and none are duplicated across any of the VM's in my cluster. It would have really helped if the developers would have printed out the duplicate uuid value in the error message so I had some clue what uuid it was referring to. Nothing worse than vague error messages. Plus the error is telling me that the uuid of the proxy is the same as the uuid of the proxy VM which are the SAME machine.

It seems that veeam doesn't like that the defined proxy server is actually a VM on the same registered esx host... If that is the case, I'm not sure how the appliance mode with hot-add is supposed to work.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Let´s create a support case, upload logs and they can extract the UUID numbers from the logs.