Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
DaHe
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel Heggli

Snapshot-only Jobs with Hyper-V

Post by DaHe »

Hi there,

Are there any plans to get the option for Snapshot-only Jobs for Hyper-V in Veeam B&R? I do not need application aware snapshots, I just want to get another Veeam managed copy of VMs, which is not accessible through a ransomware.

Since we are in environments with Veeam certified storage systems like HPE 3PAR and Nimble, there is already the integration of those systems in Veeam and the option for Snapshot-only jobs for vSphere (which is a big benefit and is VERY COOL!). I just want this option in addition to regular backup and copy-to-tape jobs as additional media break (we also do copy-to-tape), which is very easy to implement, is very fast and can be done several times a day without impact to production systems.

Without application aware snapshots, it should not be a big deal to get this additional option/security for Hyper-V environments - which in our customer environments is a growing market.

Regards, Daniel
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Snapshot-only Jobs with Hyper-V

Post by wishr »

Hi Daniel,

Am I right thinking that you would like B&R to have a backup option implying legacy (standard, non-production) checkpoint chain creation?

Thanks
DaHe
Service Provider

Post by DaHe »

Hi wishr

I'd like to have Veeam triggering the storage snapshots, managing the retention and so on - same as it does for vSphere. This way we get the option to restore through the Veeam management console and also get the Veeam backup reports.

Regards, Daniel
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Daniel,

Got it, so no backup files, just pure snapshots, probably both standard and production (with VSS). The latter is currently used in our Hyper-V backups.

Your request is noted.

Regards,
Fedor
DaHe
Service Provider

Post by DaHe » 1 person likes this post

Hi Fedor,

Great, thank you!

Regards,