Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
chrisrios88
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Rios

Backup to an S3 Repository?

Post by chrisrios88 »

Hi all,

I'm a longtime Veeam user but recently I'm testing out Veeam for O365.. Currently we're hosted in Azure and I've got an EC2 instance with an S3 bucket mounted in AWS for my Veeam for O365 instance. What I'm noticing is that the transfer rates are abysmally slow and if I'm backing up directly to the S3 bucket I'm getting a bunch of Jet database errors with the repository. Has anyone had any success with this kind of setup?
benyoung
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Ben Young

Re: Backup to an S3 Repository?

Post by benyoung »

Hi Chris

Your mileage may vary - even SMB 3.0 backed storage is "experimental" due to Microsoft not officially supporting Jet over SMB, although it does work well, tested this in my Lab, in production however we run with local storage (on the VM, SAN backed VMFS) so we have full supportability if we need to log anything, currently -

VBO supports officially

* Local storage
* Direct Attached
* SAN Attached

Experimental on

* SMB 3.0

However,

Just got back from VeeamOn Forum in Sydney where they announced that in VBO 4.0 / a future release that there will be an option for native S3 storage support, yet to see the detail around this though if its a "cloud tier" / long term archive approach or if all of it can be up there keep watching the space.

Thanks

Ben
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Ben, hi Chris,

There is indeed something like that coming. But the details are not 100 percent correct. I might need to talk to our Sydney guys ;-).

Just for clarification... The SMB 3 is indeed experimental because of the reason Ben said, however, we do deliver FULL support on it

Cheers
Mike
benyoung
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Ben Young

Post by benyoung »

Ah, that is great news, I heard/maybe thought i heard that it will likely always be experimental, maybe i assumed that as it was experimental that getting into a support situation would just get messy... are you aware of anyone using this in a relatively big way using SMB based repos?

Re the S3 thing at Sydney, details were pretty vague. Was more of a "whats coming: s3", almost no detail - but reading between the lines with the other products... can sort of join the dots. Look forward to hearing about it when it's ready
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey BenYoung, yes, there are quite some organizations that use SMB based repositories. Just be aware about the connection. It remains a running database so networking should be good.

Re S3: Details will come, but I can say already, because of the nature that we are storing individual application items (mail / files / …) and that we splitup parts of those (metadata / body / files itself / …) it will be different as what you know from Veeam simply because that is not possible :-)