Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Darkyputz
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jan Meinecke

9.5 Update 4 with 9.x perpetual license

Post by Darkyputz »

Hello...
We did the update ourself with full promise that our perpetual license will be still valid...
IT IS NOT...we finally found a backup software we like and BOOM, they broke it...
Is there any known way to revert to BEFORE U4?
Would like to NOT completely redo everything...
I think its ok, to chanhe license management, but then get a new version out...like 10!!
Cause perpetual means OWNING, and now we have a OWNED 9.x perpetual license and cannot use OUR product.
Why? Really...why break a great product
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: 9.5 Update 4 with 9.x perpetual license

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

Technically speaking, you can most certainly install and use Update 4 with the 9.x perpetual license. In fact, even if you were to buy the new perpetual Veeam license today, you'd still get the same exact license as you already have. So, frankly I'm not sure what are you talking about... especially considering that there are at least 100K other customers who are currently using Update 4 with the 9.x perpetual license.

I recommend you open a support case and let them have a look at your issue. Please include the support case ID here.

Thanks!
Darkyputz
Enthusiast

Post by Darkyputz »

I am talking about a Grace period of 90 days that finally ran out and i cannot backup anymore..
And the Webpage licensing area does not offer us an updated license to download as promised by support and update notice.
Tries to get that resolved did end up in the sand so far...getting send in circles
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

The 90 days grace period was to replace the legacy Agent license, which was sold as Subscription only.

This grace period has nothing to deal with the socket-based perpetual license for the VM backup, which you should still be able to continue using - since Update 4 changes absolutely nothing in regards to socket-based perpetual licenses. You're correct in that you own this one and can use it indefinitely with the eligible versions of Veeam Backup & Replication (according to your support agreement).
Darkyputz
Enthusiast

Post by Darkyputz »

That is what i thought it would be, but the backups stopped, i am unable to download any license file anywhere until i throw more money at them and being stuck/hostage with my prior purchase...
As you can tell...pretty unhappy customer
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Jan, have you reached out to our support team? If so, please, post case number here, so that we can investigate the issue internally. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Darkyputz wrote: Jul 29, 2019 3:18 pmI am unable to download any license file anywhere until i throw more money at them
Wait, do you perhaps have the maintenance agreement expired on your 9.x perpetual license? And if yes, how long ago did it expire?
Darkyputz
Enthusiast

Post by Darkyputz »

Support expired on Dec 30 2018...
But with no issues you would expect that you dont need support, and "buy" it in case you get an issue
Not expecting that support agreement is needed to use your purchased(not rented) software
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Unfortunately, if your support agreement has expired on Dec 30 2018, then you're not eligible for Update 4 at all, as it was released in Jan 2019. This is per paragraph 6.0 of Veeam EULA:
Software updates cannot be applied to the Software with an expired Maintenance.
You can certainly continue using your purchased software indefinitely, and you're eligible to install all updates up to and including Update 3a, which was released while your support agreement was still active.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

Darkyputz wrote: Jul 29, 2019 1:41 pm I think its ok, to chanhe license management, but then get a new version out...like 10!!
Cause perpetual means OWNING, and now we have a OWNED 9.x perpetual license and cannot use OUR product.
Why? Really...why break a great product
Always read the releasenotes first!