Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cgrossman
Novice
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Carlo

Backup repository agent instead of SMB?

Post by cgrossman »

I have a Veeam backup server that backs up my VMs to a remote site. I also have configured a secondary backup job that copies the backups to an SMB share on a second remote site. Is there an agent that I can install on the Windows server at the second remote site so that I can perform the secondary backup over some sort of proprietary Veeam protocol? I know it's not the same as having an air gapped backup, but I would feel better if I could lock down the firewall to a proprietary port instead of leaving an SMB connection open.

Also, can anyone confirm that the backup catalog is copied in a secondary backup to secondary backup server? I want to be sure I can restore the data if I lose the primary Veeam backup server.

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup repository agent instead of SMB?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Is there an agent that I can install on the Windows server at the second remote site so that I can perform the secondary backup over some sort of proprietary Veeam protocol?
yes, there is a way. Just add the windows machine as "managed computer" (in backup infrastructure -> managed servers) and use the backup copy job. You definitely want to use that way. Otherwise all merges go over WAN
can anyone confirm that the backup catalog is copied in a secondary backup to secondary backup server?
Veeam backups are always "self contained". Meaning that you don't need a configuration to restore. Just import the backup file to a fresh installation and you are good. Of course, using the built-in configuration backup makes it more comfortable :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup repository agent instead of SMB?

Post by foggy »

Just to clarify, after adding the machine under Managed Servers, you will be able to either create a Windows-type repository on it or specify it as a gateway server for your existing SMB repository.