Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
electricd7
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chad Killion

Anyone used the Quantum Scalar i3 with the Veeam Blade?

Post by electricd7 »

Hello-

I am in the process of setting up 2 Quantum Scalar i3 libraries which are connected via SAS to the Veeam iBlade. When I first logged into the iBlade it wasn't seeing any of the tape drives and there were several "unknown devices" in device manager. I was able to point it to the c:\quantum folder that is on that server out of the box and it found the SAS controller and all 3 of the IBM HH drives which are attached and added them. There is still 1 "unknown" device of which I can't figure out what it is.

Next I added the tape server to Veeam which went normally. After the server was added, veeam scanned it for drives and it added 3 "libraries" each with a single drive.

As you may know, the scaler i3 is setup as 3 drives in a single cabinet with (2) 25 tape magazines and a robot to load/unload. I have the extra 25 tape license so I would assume this should come in as a single device with 3 drives and 50 slots. How do I get this to work correctly?

ED7
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Anyone used the Quantum Scalar i3 with the Veeam Blade?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Chad,
There is still 1 "unknown" device of which I can't figure out what it is
You need to install the changer driver to Veeam Tape server - currently it looks like the drive drivers were installed but there is no changer driver to unite all the devices into single library.
electricd7
Expert

Post by electricd7 »

Yea I thought that too and downloaded what I thought was the changer driver but it didn’t work for the unknown device. I will reach out to quantum and see what they say. Thanks.
electricd7
Expert

Post by electricd7 » 1 person likes this post

For others who stumble on this post in the future. The step I was missing was to create a partition in the Scalar i3 which contains all the drives and all the slots. This then creates a virtual scsi device emulated on the first tape drive and is presented to the tape server (the iBlade in this case) and shows up as a Media Changer in windows and correctly in Veeam after that.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Chad,

Glad you nailed it and thanks for sharing the solution with the community!