Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Cullimore
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Roberts

Advice wanted for change of setup

Post by Cullimore »

Good Morning

My Current setup is we are a single site with a HP MSA2050 SAN and 3 Hosts all 10Gb networking running VMware. My current main backup repository is a HP DL380 G 5 with 3Tb Raid 0 SATA disks but only has 1Gb networking. I have 2 Main backup jobs that run, 1 that just backs up my veeam server (this is a virtual server) Then the other job that backs up all my other VM's. Both these jobs have 2 backup copy jobs linked to them, 1 to a repository (cheap NAS) in another building about 30 meters away connected via 1Gb Fiber optic and the other repository is cloud connect. The main jobs bottleneck is the target, Copy job to the NAS is the source and the copy job to the cloud is the network.

Now i have sat in my rack a Dell PS4100 SAN with 12 1Tb 7.2k SAS drives in it doing absolutely nothing. I also have a Dell R620 not doing anything but it has no hard drives (only duel SD cards) that is shut down not doing anything.

I have a few idea's but honestly not sure what way to go with it all. I could just upgrade the drives in the DL380 say up to SAS? Or is the a way of backing up to the PS4100? in both these instances would my veeam server be better staying virtual or should i put it on the DL380?

So i thought i would ask the community what they would advise as i am sure a lot of you are looking after multi sites/customers and i would have a better idea than me who is in house IT

Oh and i am running Backup Essentials

Thanks You
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Advice wanted for change of setup

Post by ejenner »

What problem are you trying to resolve with your current configuration?