Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Blerrie-Backups
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alwyn Strydom

VEEAM B&R DETAILED Restore Reports

Post by Blerrie-Backups »

Hallo guys

Looking for some input here, as this seems to be one of the things missing from VEEAM B&R and even the fancy reporting tool, VEEAM One.

We have a client that has both products fully licensed and installed. Now they are looking to get a DETAILED report on their recent restores. Now, yes, there is a report called "Restore Operator Activity", BUT this only provides a report on the restores attempted in x-period, with the type of restore tested. All the below metrics are missing and stuff that we'd like to see:

- End time(Only start time listed)
- Duration
- File sizes and counts
- Throughput of the restore

The ONLY way currently available to see this, is to monitor the job whilst the restore is running, even then, the reporting on recovery jobs seems VERY limited. :(

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/r ... l?ver=95u4

In short we are looking for the same level of reporting that we can also get from each backup job and the content their off in the Enterprise Manager.

Hopefully someone ells has been sitting with this frustration?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: VEEAM B&R DETAILED Restore Reports

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,

I am a product analyst of Veeam ONE.
We have in plans the upgrade of the mentioned Restore Operator Activity report, so your feedback is well-timed.

Could you clarify a couple of moments, such as
Now, yes, there is a report called "Restore Operator Activity", BUT this only provides a report on the restores attempted in x-period, with the type of restore tested.
How would you like it to work without or instead of setting the reporting interval option?
- End time(Only start time listed)
- Duration
- File sizes and counts
Do you need all three start time, end time and duration or just two of them is sufficient?
As for the file sizes and counts, do you want to see sizes of all files or just summary?

Thanks!
Blerrie-Backups
Influencer

Hallo Shestakov

The report period option is perfect, we don't have any issues or concerns with regards to the reporting period, more on the content of the report.

Detailed stats wise, if we can have the option to see all the below it would be great:

- Start time
- Duration (Can be determined if a end time is shown)
- File/object sizes
- File/object count
- MB/s throughput

This stats is very similar to the details that is given when running a report on a job in B&R.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Hope that helps and it would be awesome if we can get that level of details on the restore jobs.

Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Got it, thanks! The request is taken into account.
Blerrie-Backups
Influencer

Thanks Shestakov, woul be awesome!
scolledge
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Sean Colledge

Post by scolledge »

Hi Shestakov, we are in a similar position as Blerrie-Backups. Have you had any luck getting this report pushed as we would really like more information about our restore jobs for audits and informational purposes?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Sean,

As far as I know, enhancements to the existing report in Veeam ONE are still planned for our next updates. Can you please share a bit more details on what data is missing and what is the use case to showing this data in the report?

Thanks!
scolledge
Influencer

Post by scolledge »

Hi Vitaliy,

The problem we are having is that the current reports that we are able to pull from Veeam and VeeamOne show success and what the root was that was backed up. But it does not drill down to exact files that was restored. So if you restore a parent folder with 50 odd child folders, it only shows the parent folder as a success and not the children. That also comes into play when it fails on one of the child files/folders when you do a restore, and you can not pinpoint where or why.

Before moving over to Veeam, we used Symantec and that gave such nice reporting on file structures and what exactly happened.

One other issue i experience with the backup is that when you do a Guest file restore, you cant select multiple child folders from different parent folders. But at a later stage i will create a thread for this as it is a completely different issue.

I hope this info gives you some clarity to what we require.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Sean,
scolledge wrote: So if you restore a parent folder with 50 odd child folders, it only shows the parent folder as a success and not the children. That also comes into play when it fails on one of the child files/folders when you do a restore, and you can not pinpoint where or why.
Yes, this is the current design, but if you want detailed stats on every object you need to select them individually. In this case, the report will provide you with all the details. For example, if you're restoring the Windows folder that has lots of files, then the end result that bothers you if the entire folder was restored and not every file within that folder, right? However, showing the details on the failure is a must-have, let me check back with the report and see what's missing there.
scolledge wrote:One other issue i experience with the backup is that when you do a Guest file restore, you cant select multiple child folders from different parent folders. But at a later stage i will create a thread for this as it is a completely different issue.
Yes, let's discuss it in a separate thread not to derail this one.

Thanks!
scolledge
Influencer

Post by scolledge »

Vitaliy,

I appreciate the feedback. However this defeats the purpose of the backup reports does it not? The main reason for the reports are mainly for Auditing purposes. And if a backup fails, a user would want to see why it failed. I would really appreciate if you could follow up for us regarding that.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Sean,

I totally agree with the failure aspect, just not sure that we will be able to list all files and folders if you, for example, select a root folder or a volume. The amount of data to be reported and displayed would just kill the report.

Thanks!
scolledge
Influencer

Post by scolledge »

True,

But rather give the end user the option to be able to pull it. If they/us want to have an overkill report that takes ages to run, so be it. At least we have the option then.

S
scolledge
Influencer

Post by scolledge »

If not that, the report could otherwise then just stipulate the amount of data transfered, total amount of files, failures and why they occured and summary of folders with totals?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

scolledge wrote:But rather give the end user the option to be able to pull it.
It's not only about generating a report but having Veeam B&R record this and output to Veeam ONE.
scolledge wrote:If not that, the report could otherwise then just stipulate the amount of data transfered, total amount of files, failures and why they occured and summary of folders with totals?
That's a good FR. Thanks!
scolledge
Influencer

Post by scolledge »

Do you think this is something that could or will happen soon? Look, overall Veeam is an amazing product and the capabilities of it is amazing. We just find the reporting side of things lacking.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you mean soon = v10, then no, as the release is just around the corner. I will let @Shestakov comment on the timeframe when these updates can be embedded to Veeam ONE.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Sean,
As Vitaliy said, the feature is not part of the upcoming release and cannot promise any features of the next release yet.
However, we are planning to upgrade Restore Operator Activity report and your feedback will be taken into account.
Thanks!
scolledge
Influencer

Post by scolledge » 1 person likes this post

Hi Shestakov,

Or why not just implement the functionality to allow users to create the reports to their needs? Surely i can not be the first person who has asked something like this? But i would appreciate if you take it into account and keep me updated with any progress updates.

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Do you mean something like configurable report builder that pulls data from SQL and creates tables, graphs, etc. or just API to pull the data?
scolledge
Influencer

Post by scolledge »

I think overall an API will work wonders, especialy when it comes to user skill and functionality?

In that you can set the filters needed and it generates the report?

What do you think?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi guys, just FYI: the upcoming B&R v10 release will deliver a few new features suitable for auditing including a possibility to export this kind of data in CSV format. While I cannot share any additional details or ETA, I definitely recommend to check out the release notes once the new version is out.

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Sean, I've got your request, thank you.
Veeam ONE API is under development, cannot share any estimated release dates yet.
Seve CH
Enthusiast
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: JM Severino

Post by Seve CH »

Hello,

For audit purposes (data leak, legal requirement/discovery, etc.), the question usually is this one:
"Who got access to file/object X?"
Can Veeam B&R answer that question?
It could be answered as a pre-cooked report provided by Veeam One, a database view, an API access, etc. but the important thing is to collect the data for later retrieval :wink:

Regards
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi JM,

Could you please clarify what did you mean saying "Who got access to file/object X"? Is this about restores?

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Seve CH wrote: Dec 16, 2019 9:33 am Hello,
For audit purposes (data leak, legal requirement/discovery, etc.), the question usually is this one:
"Who got access to file/object X?"
Can Veeam B&R answer that question?
It could be answered as a pre-cooked report provided by Veeam One, a database view, an API access, etc. but the important thing is to collect the data for later retrieval :wink:
Regards
You can generate Veeam ONE report in CSV format and reuse the data as you wish.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

Shestakov wrote: Dec 09, 2019 4:58 pm Hello Sean,
As Vitaliy said, the feature is not part of the upcoming release and cannot promise any features of the next release yet.
However, we are planning to upgrade Restore Operator Activity report and your feedback will be taken into account.
Thanks!
Has there been any movement on this? I'm Using VeeamONE v11 and there is still only the very limited "Restore Operators" report.
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello Rubin,
Can you please let us know what exactly are you looking for to do with VONE data?

For Restore Operator, in v12 we have enhanced that report and added a lot of new operations. But we are always willing to keep enhancing it of course, please let us know if that is enough.

In v12, we have as well the new supported API, which brings tons of opportunities to export protected data, and other metrics out of Veeam ONE.

Please let us know
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

I would like something more than just a "Restore Operator" report. For example, a report that can show me all restores of a given VM. Right now, the "Restore Operator" report is useful for auditing a user's activity, but significantly less so when auditing restore activity of a server. I'd also like more details that I can provide to an auditor (or customer), including restore end time, throughput, and time per drive. As it stands now, I have to dive into VBR and screenshot the relevant information from the individual restore jobs.