Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
william.chan
Novice
Liked: never

backup no disk space & the vm power off

Post by william.chan »

Dear all,
My veeam install in one of vm to backup other vm system. Yesterday, when I backup one of vm, it halt & power off. I check the event is no disk space in datastore. I only can revert to current snapshot to open the vm again.
questions:
1. How can I free disk space to prevent the above problem again? (I have NO additional datastore for increase the size)
2. I use vmkfstools -K xxx.vmdk - try to reclaim the disk space but no additional space out after it finished?? Is there any method? or tools to do it?
3. How can I set the minimum full backup or can I only 1 full backup for safe?
Thanks!!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: backup no disk space & the vm power off

Post by Gostev »

Hi, William

For questions 1 and 2, you should contact VMware Support for assistance, since this is unrelated to Veeam.

For question 3: if you disable periodic fulls, you will always have a single full backup only.

However, please note that what you're doing is a really bad practice. Storing backups in a VM that is hosted on the same datastore with the protected VM makes no sense, because if you lose the datastore - you will lose both your production VMs and their backups.

Thanks!
william.chan
Novice
Liked: never

Post by william.chan »

Dear Gostev,
The below are my setting. pls advice base on my questions . Thanks!!
1. I set retention policy - restore points to keep on disk to 1.
2. Active full backup - perform active full backups periodically - weekly on Sat.
3. run the job automatically - daily at this time - 12:30 on Sat.
4. vm retention - deleted VMs data retention period - 14 days
Q: the above setting, is it do the full backup only without any incremental backup?
Q: it will keep 2 sets full backup only?
Thanks!!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Q: the above setting, is it do the full backup only without any incremental backup?
With the given setup you will have from 2 to 8 restore points (with 1 or 2 full backups). Kindly, check corresponding section of our User Guide (forward incremental mode). Thanks!