Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Blerrie-Backups
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alwyn Strydom

Feature requests for VEEAM B&R 10

Post by Blerrie-Backups »

Hallo

Have some features I'm HOPING would become a reality in v10, when that releases one day. :)

- NFS integration option allowing the use of NFS for a repository and being able to copy this to tape or another site (Word is that this is going to be the case)
- Better Oracle RMAN integration (Specifically on the copy to tape function of your backups)
- More granular restore point manipulation (Being able to copy only a specific restore point and the data associated with it to tape, or another backup medium)
- Better tape copy operations, specifically for backups with forever incremental configured (If a merge occurs the copy to tape fails even with a wait period specified on the tape copy job)
- The ability to restore more then on item on SQL, AD and Exchange simultaneously
- Better capacity handling on SOR(Scale Out Repositories) specifically with regards to synthetic full backups (Even thou a synthetic full consumes the same space as an incremental, the synthetic full fails if the SOR extend does not have sufficient capacity for another active full, or X% of capacity on the extend)
- Faster single item restores for SQL, Exchange and AD from VMware based backup.
- Faster copy speeds to tape (Possibly even multi-streaming)
- Faster OST integration (Specifically around DataDomain)

Maybe this is just me, but the above features would help greatly in handling the backups and its data more granularly.

Know there is someone reading and listening. :)

Thanks guys!
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Re: Feature requests for VEEAM B&R 10

Post by Mgamerz »

I would like to see them implement a feature like Backup Exec's Overwrite the file on disk only if it is older option when doing guest file restores.

Here's an example.

Say you have a folder that contains your project's working directory. It has 2000 folders, all datestamped and location tagged (say you were doing some sort of field data collection on birds or something). In each of these folders is 20-30 jpg files that you have to manipulate for some reason, like watermarking or cropping or whatever.

Eventually you find that someone, or something, has deleted files at random from these directories, but you have no idea what.

Currently if you use Veeam guest level file restore, you have to go through every. single. folder. and cherry pick what you want. Or restore the entire directory (which could be big!) and then run some sort of file synchronization tool like freefilesync. This wastes a lot of time and disk space to do.

With an option such as Overwrite only if older, if the file is missing, it gets reinstated from backup. If the file on disk is OLDER than the one in the backup, it gets replaced - but your new files aren't touched (this could happen if you restored another backup (like a folder copy), or had to rebuild the system).

Say your backup is 4 days old (like your user has not connected their laptop to the network for several days and missed several days of backups). You can use this option to restore the data and not have to worry about it overwriting their new work in the last 4 days. This can and DOES happen at my office, because some users I swear put peanut butter under their delete key.

I think this feature would be a great improvement to guest level file restore. Personally, I find the granularity of guest file restore in veeam to be very limiting - you can only keep or overwrite, and that's it. There is no options or conditions you can use for when only partial data destruction has occurred.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Feature requests for VEEAM B&R 10

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Alwyn, Mgamerz - thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately it is too late for any v10 requests, because v10 was feature complete back a few months ago, and has been in stabilization phase for a while now. However, the good news is that some of the features you mentioned are already there anyway.

As per our forum rules, I will close this topic now to prevent other people to continue posting all sort of unrelated feature requests from different functionality areas in the single topic. As always, we ask to maintain separate topic for every feature request - otherwise, it makes the discussion of use case and requirements completely impossible with everyone talking about different feature requests in parallel. Importantly, these topics should be placed in the correct sub-forum, so that the responsible PM could see them. For example, this particular forum is not a good place for tape-related feature requests.

More importantly, before creating new topics, please use forum search and see if there's an existing discussions you can continue. Because the reality is that 9 out of 10 feature requests you have in mind have already been submitted and discussed here in the past 10 years. So, in case you want to contribute to those discussion with your own use cases or requirements, naturally the best place to do this is an existing topic - having reviewed the previous discussion.