Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
beargolightly
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bear Golightly

Backing up files from $SERVER1 and restoring to $SERVER2?

Post by beargolightly »

Given that I have SERVER1 (Windows 2008 R2) and SERVER2 (Windows 2016), and I am trying to migrate the data files and permissions from SERVER1 to SERVER2:

Every time I have performed a Windows fileserver migration with other backup products (Backup Exec, Unitrends), I have been able to back up e.g. E:\ on SERVER1 and restore to E:\ on SERVER2, then re-create the shares and rename SERVER2 to SERVER1.

I've just tried the same with Veeam and it turns out I can only restore items backed up from SERVER1, to SERVER1 - I can't choose a different restore target.

Is there a magic incantation that will allow me to git-r-done, or will I need to use something other than Veeam for this?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backing up files from $SERVER1 and restoring to $SERVER2?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Which user interface do you use? Backup & Replication or the Agent GUI? In general, the "copy to" can do the job. You just need to use \\server2\drive$\path

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: I tend to say that a direct migration (without a backup too, e.g. with robocopy) might be easier and faster
beargolightly
Novice

Post by beargolightly »

We use Veeam Backup & Recovery. I am gonna try the 'Copy To' job, that sounds promising.
beargolightly
Novice

Post by beargolightly »

Seems this completely obliterates all filesystem permissions. Can Veeam not back up files from one place and simply restore them somewhere else, preserving permissions? This is easily done in Unitrends and, as much as I hate to say it, Backup Exec.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
hmm, you say that the "preserve permissions and ownership" does not work?

If yes, please open a support case and post the case number here. That would be a serious issue.

Thanks,
Hannes